This Disappears When Logged In

Handling

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by SnakeChick, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SnakeChick

SnakeChick Member

Now that my BRB has eaten twice and shed. How often should I be handling her? And what is your procedure? Thank you in advance for any help :)

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This is just my general procedure for all my snakes, haven't had a brb yet but I expect it should still work. First regardless of anything else I let the snake acclimate for a week with no handling. I may try to feed the day it comes home, or I may wait a week depending on how it acts. No handiling until it's eating regularly, once it is, I start with short sessions, usually no more than 5 minutes, sometimes less. If the animal starts striking or acting stressed I end the session. Then usually a day off, then another session. Then once it animal seems comfortable, I start slowly increasing the time and frequency of the sessions. There is no set scedule for this, as each animal is different and will respond differently. What you'll eventually have is a snake that will be quite comfortable with you any time you want to get it out. Main points are, no handling until it's eating regularly, or immediately after feeding for 24-48hrs, discontinue handling if it stops feeding, and if you get bit don't get discouraged. And one last point. Remember that not all animals tame down the same, and some may not at all. And all young animals are hardwired to believe anything that's not food will be trying to eat them. Give your animal time to realize that you won't.

3. SnakeChick

SnakeChick Member

Thank you. I have held her three times in the last seven says. Just a couple minutes at a time. She is doing well :)