This Disappears When Logged In

Handling Time After Feeding?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by uncertainsky, Apr 27, 2013.

1. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

So today was feeding day for Iris, f/t fuzzy ate like a champ about three hours ago. Normally I just leave her be till the next day to handle her but I got a surprise visit from out of town family just after Iris finished swallowing her meal. They really want to hold her and I really wanna show her off but I don't want to upset her at all. My family is leaving tomorrow morning and I want to ask what is not the minimal but comfortable amount of time she can be handled after a meal? Thanks guys/gals!

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I do minimal handling the next morning or I have before. However, I will say its not recommended.

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Umm it's usually universally recommended to let snakes have a full 2 days to rest and digest after a meal (from what I've read).

Howeeeverr, I have heard of people handling them as soon as the next day. It depends on the snake.

As cool as they are and as fun as they are to show to the family, I wouldn't risk your snakes health to entertain people even if they are family. From what I've heard, regurgitated rat isn't pleasant. :p

4. Flipflop

Flipflop Member

All depends on the snake. Ive been told to wait a day for them to digest but my carpet loves to take a stroll after a meal or lay across my neck for some extra warmth for digestion. Id say take it slow and if the snake looks stressed leave it alone and admire it while in its cage :)

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Interesting flipflop, I have noticed that my carpet is super active for about 8 hrs to a full day after eating, but then she disappears for a few days. I always think she is still hunting.

@uncertainsky I guess your question is a mute point now, but my opinion when making decisions that effect living animals is always better safe than sorry.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It's best to wait 2-3 days, you don't want to risk a regurgitation.

7. LunaticFringeInc

LunaticFringeInc Active Member

Since I was in the habit of feeding mine in a temporary enclosure, I would wait a couple of hours after eating to move them back to their enclosure and then I wouldnt handle them for a couple of days. That was the routine I had and that's the one I stuck to without fail.

8. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Ive only had experience with 2 Columbian boas that were handleable. they would throw up if I handled with in the first 24 hours. the Python was too big to ever really handle so I left him to his own decision on when he wanted to be handled! lol

9. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

this time as you can see varies from person to person. the guy from snakebites the web show said 6 hours. i my self find this not enough. a young snake can and will regurge if stressed. i wait the minimum of 24 hours for the young snakes, and 12 for adults.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

More nonsense from that show! General recommendation is to wait 48 hours after feeding. I have a few which have been with me a long time and are comfortable with them that will allow limited handling after 24 hours. But as a rule I don't risk it.