This Disappears When Logged In

Handling Rtbs. . .

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by 1melissa3, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

You could always send your wife down the road, instead. . . . =) That's what my hubby told me when I told him I didn't want the dog on the bed with us. I ended up just getting used to the dog, the kids, the man, and anything else that would crawl in too. . . =) It's ironic that if I did leave, the dog would just be right under my feet going out the door, too. He would never, even on his worst day, seriously send me down the road, because then who would he have to take care of his laundry, food, kids, snakes, dogs, etc., etc., etc. ;-)

2. biohaz1

biohaz1 New Member

that's true, Aalamil. plus, if you yank away, like I did, you can pull some of the boa's teeth out. embedded in your skin, of course. Speaking from experience.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Biohaz1- just being bitten can lead to lost teeth, I got bitten by my 6' female and she got hung up on my hand and left 2 teeth in it. Painful but very educational! ;)

4. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

That absolutely sounds horrid! Ours is doing so much better, both the man and the boa. . . =) I love watching the "men" of the house trade off the snakes during handling time. Hubby is still very cautious and worrisome, but he stays focused. . . =)

5. David McConley

Just as long as he remembers-confidence is good, caution is better. Soon your husband will be asking for another snake "just so he can watch it grow up from a baby/hatchling" My wife has gotten the herp bug(though she won't admit it). This week-end at the Columbia SC show she fell in love with a baby Dumeril's boa and asked if we could get one in November when we come back to Columbia. Of course, I said yes!!

6. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

Yeah, if we weren't movin', he'd be wantin' another boa. . . I hope to keep him focused on getting' moved and then a bigger cage before all that. I do love seeing him workin' on getting better at it all. . . =)

7. David McConley

Moving can be such a hassle! We are planning on moving in the future to Sarasota, Florida. The good thing about that is it is closer to PRIMO field herping territory. The real fun will be moving 3 dogs, 1 cat, 17 snakes, 1 lizard, and several gerbils all the way to Florida. ;)

8. chadhar

chadhar Member

my wife has been bitten by my boa and she said she didn't even feel it she noticed the blood after the bite so if she can you can believe me she's scared of all kinds of things keep trying and calm down.

Ive been bitten by my ball eye caps were he reason my wife bitten by my boa don't know why but now she's OK with the little guy as long as she don't handle him and that's fine with me trust issues lol but as long as you don't act scared and try to remember that animals sense fear and a lot more of your emotions.

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My 6.5" boa bit me a few days back on my hand. Fortunantly it was a side strike and not head on, but it drew blood nonetheless. lol

Even at her size, I didn't consider the bite to be all that bad. It left a nice outline of holes where each of her teeth had gotten me.

The surprise of the bite is more alarming than the bite itself.

(I was returning her back to her enclosure when I got bit. I am not sure what prompted the bite seeing as she wasn't hungry and I hadn't been handling any feeders. She just decided she didn't want my hand there I guess. lol)

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As the old saying goes,....
    There are two kinds of Snake keepers!
    Those who have been bitten,...
    and those who will be.;)

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was already in the bit group. The only snake I own who has never bit me is Rayne, my Snow corn. She is around 8 years old now and she has yet to give me a nip. The ball pythons and boa, they bite when inclined. lol It is normally my fault though, so there are no hard feelings. ;)

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ain't that the truth - they really don't hurt that bad, but dang, do they startle!

My munchkin boa has yet to bite me, but most days, I can't even get him to bite a mouse either. My BRB has yet to bite me, but she gives me that look. you know there one, where you know they are thinking about trying it.

The worst I have ever experienced is an outline, with very mild bruising.

13. David McConley

I got bitten by my 8.5 foot burmese python about 2 weeks ago and she didn't strike at me - she just crawled over to my hand, opened her mouth and bit it. It left approximately 65 tooth marks in my hand and I bled like a stuck hog. I know it was my fault. The only reason I can think of is -1) It was 9:00 pm (possible hunting mode) 2) I was going to clean her enclosure and 3) She was just going blue- her eyes were starting to cloud over, but I did not notice. In spite of all that, she was returned to her enclosure after I got 1st aid and I cleaned her home up. I healed nicely- no bruising- but I think I have a tooth in one of my knuckles as it is very tender when I hit it on something or when I close my hand.

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I was bitten last week my my sisters ball python, my fault( I blame my sis and her hubby!), as I spent the previous day helping him get rid of some old shed, they hadn't handled him in almost a yr. as they said he had gone blind and mean,come to find out he hadn't shed his eye caps the entire time! I wanted to take him out of there, but being family decided not to cross that bridge, just gave them proper husbandry lecture etc.
    I went over the next day, to check in on him and bring him the proper size water dish, heating pad etc. I took him out, had him wrapped around my hand, checking him for any shed /eye caps etc. he was crawling up my arm and I didn't think anything of it, when I looked down at him and he had his mouth WIDE open, and before I could pull him away he latched on... of course he wouldn't let go and kept working those teeth into me, I told my sis to get me any kind of alchohol,( she being blonde put it in a glass with ice) by the time i finished my drink,he let go LOL. Not a great pic, but it shows the bruising that occurred immediately. Now they are completely afraid to hold him, so I go over every day and handle him and make sure they are caring for him properly

Attached Files:

• 272.jpg
      272.jpg
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Some people, all it takes is one strike, or one bite, and it's no longer a good pet for them.

I think that's how so many end up in rescues + Everglades.

I have lost track of how many times I have been bitten, and by how many creatures.

16. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

We haven't handled ours for several weeks now, but we've moved and they've been hiding for the whole time we've been at the new place. We haven't tried to feed them yet, either. Keeping the enclosures clean and water fresh is all we've done. They have come out the last two days and seem to be looking around, so I'm sure they are ready to be fed. The rtb is the one that was hiding and didn't come out, not even at night, because I watched. I worried about him, because he never even came out to get in or drink out of his water, but last night he came out, and now he's out and moving around his enclosure, too. I can tell he's been in his water, as well.

Hubby tipped the bps enclosure over and it cracked completely in the front panel, so first night in our new place, we had to switch their enclosure. It is strange that even after that, they came around a little quicker and are more curious as of yet than the rtb. We definitely have to invest in a better enclosure for them now, because we have them in the older one we kept for feedings and it will be too small in a matter of months.

None of us have been bitten yet, and the rtb only struck at us the one time I had previously posted. I think we will handle them a couple of days after the first feedings. If they are good enough to eat and don't regurge, then it'll be time, I'm sure after enough time passes for digestion. I think after they get used to it here, they will be far less stressed than at the other place because we are in the woods and the air is different, I think it would matter, but perhaps I'm a loon... =)

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sometimes, snakes have tantrums, at least mine do.

Our larger boa gets mad if you don't let her climb on the furniture.

18. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

Dragoness - I'm thinking more that our rtb is far more touchy. The others, you can do just about anythign, it seems, and they don't do anything more than get still. The male hissed at hubby the first time he handled him, but it wasn't bad, he just left him alone for a few minutes. So happy with all three! I really couldn't imagine having better tempered snakes, howeversobeit, we are still yet quite inexperienced. =)

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

all of my snakes are okay with being handled on a regular basis - half luck, half stubbornness on my part. I don't mind a few bites in the process of helping them to understand I am not a threat. Most of the bites I have received have been completely at random, for no apparent reason, and with no warning. My kingsnake once went after my hand in a feeding response, and latched onto the finger, and actually tried to start swallowing it. Talk about ambition - he was the size of a pencil when he tried that!

Both of our boas are very handleable, and only one of them has ever bitten. yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.