This Disappears When Logged In

Handling Colubrids

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Orca, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

My Honduran milk is the first small snake I've ever owned (and only my second snake over all) and I'd like some tips on handling him. He is only a couple months old and very quick - the exact opposite of my ball python. I try to do the "treadmill" action with my hands but most of the time he moves too fast even for that. What happens then is I have to hold on slightly tighter near his tail so he doesn't fall and he, understandably, gets irritated and bites me. Are there other methods I could try? Should I be handling him during the day or at night? Will he eventually mellow out with time and size and this will be easier?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My milk snake (who is in theory half honduran) was like that when he was little too.... I was always so afraid I was going to lose him. Nowadays, he is a little more mellow, but only manageably so. I did the same thing - started with boids, and then got a colubrid, and was like "Does it ever take a break" and they don't seem to.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

My adult corns are more mellow now that they have some size, but my younger one is HIGHLY active and requires constant attention while being handled.

4. WhyteRabbit

WhyteRabbit Member

My milksnake was pretty quick when he was that small too. They do tend to chill out a bit with daily handling. My concern would be if you are replacing the little bugger back in the tank after it nips you. If that be the case, you're training it to nip to get away from the big bad hand. My thought would be to keep going with the "treadmill" action, and possibly give it a sleeve or pocket to explore once it does get a little tired out. Be more tenacious than him! =)

ps: We dubbed that first pic "Bluetooth Bates"

Attached Files: