This Disappears When Logged In

Handling Ball Pythons for First Time. . .

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by 1melissa3, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Deciphering your feelings for a venomous snake or a snake in the wild is quite a challenge after being so used to having them and loving them at home. Children have to be told that very clearly, even unaware adults will foolishly try to befriend a copperhead with negative outcomes. Even I thought the full grown diamond back at the NC Zoo had an adorable face. Once the fear is non-existent then clear rationalism needs to be developed as a dominant trait.

2. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

:) absolutely! And, it cannot go without saying that I am learning just as they are. . .

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just make sure that they know the difference!
    When my grandkids were small they were totally in love with my snakes.
    So much so that both of their mothers were terrified that we would show up some birthday or Christmas with a box with air holes in it!:eek:
    Since they lived out in the country, their moms were worried about them going out and picking up a wild snake that would hurt them.
    However one thing I stressed to them was that these were grandpa's pet snakes and the ones out in the wild were to be left alone.
    This bore fruit when one granddaughter came running in to tell their folks about the "wild snake" that was out in the yard.
    It too was a copperhead. But they gave it a wide berth
    The teaching paid off!

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Very good point,about the venomous snakes. I tell my son and family and all of my friends that if they come across a snake not in a cage in my house to assume the snake is venomous and to call me before they try to kill it. This is for their safety as well as the snake's safety. Everyone knows that many snake bites are caused by people trying to beat a snake to death.

Thank you for bringing up that very important point.

5. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

Well, with the copperhead in the yard and the twins, no never mind how young they were at the time, it was a very heartfelt time for all around. I was too shocked and then scared, after the fact. They sure understand now, but with us having snakes in the house, we hope to remove a lot of the general ignorance and fear that the lack of exposure can produce. Of course, as you said, anything not in the house and in the cage will be a different story. :)

6. David McConley

I can imagine you were beside yourself with fear. I know I would be also. Hopefully now with the experience I have and plan to pass on to my son I won't have to worry about that happening. But then he is absolutely WITHOUT fear of snakes and I really have to keep a CLOSE eye on him so he doesn't try to grad just any old sanke he comes across.

7. djroberts

djroberts Member

id just say take your time make sure they a comfatible with you handleing them first but ball do tend to be docile anyway i never had any problems with my kids holding my royals

8. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

You know, we are constantly in and out of their cages because of cleaning and checking and petting, etc. . . The balls really are docile, even when they have just eaten, we can move them from the box, which we've recently acquired for feeding. Infact, the male will come up and into your hands to be moved around:) But now, for some reason the last few weeks, the rtb, the one we had been able to handle from the get-go has gotten moody and will tense when we reach for him. He has only struck the one time, but we don't push handling him, we just pet him and refresh his water, clean, etc. . . He tenses up and just moves out of our way if we try to actually pick him up, so we've stopped trying. I think time will help him readjust. We've also recently acquired a duck so we have even more excitement with the kids.

9. David McConley

Very nice, I'm sure you already know this but I'll say it anyway. If you or your kids pet the duck make sure you wash your hands before you try to handle your snakes. Not only will it reduce the chance of passing on a disease to your snakes but it will also reduce the chance of a potentially nasty bite from the boa or your ball pythons. Boas do eat fowl in the wild and the smell on of it on your hands may cause an instinctive bite reaction(the same as with mice or rats).

As I said I 'm sure you knew that but just food for thought. Enjoy the duck my father had some when I was a very young boy and I filled many hours watching and holding those gorgeous birds.

10. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

You know, the more we get, the more I want. It is a wonderful thing, beyond words, to see the change in not only my children but also my husband!! I bought some extra critter cages and stuff on the side to encourage him to be even more open to having more in time. He was considering a bearded dragon next, which the one we saw was very affectionate and loved the attention he got, being in the pet store and all. Our boys (and even our daughter) were fascinated with how something so strange looking could be so well tempered and, well, just hang there for so long!! The warnings and advises they give were pretty much common sense, however, we'll have to do more reading up before he has really decided. It's comical, because this past week he choose to shop for nicer tanks and containers for our snakes than to get the beloved sports car he'd been eyeing for some time. . . I must say the Lord is good!!;)

11. David McConley

Sounds as though you are successfully converting your husband over to the joys of reptile ownership. Congratulations on your efforts.

12. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

:) it is of utmost importance in building him up. . . It really is more of my reward to see his enjoyment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.