This Disappears When Logged In

Halogen vs incandescent debate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbl, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Hi!
    I've been thinking about changing my regular incandescent spot lamps for halogen ones.
    From common knowledge there are several advantages:
    - Halogen is more energy efficient than incandescent;
    - Halogen uses less watts to produce the same amount of light/heat so a lesser wattage lamp is needed;
    - Halogen lifespan is at least the double than incandescent;

All these save you money! The only downside is that the lamps cost up to ten times more than their incandescent counterpart.

From what I know, they also emit some levels of UVB radiation but I have no data at all about this.

Does anyone uses them and care to give us insight about their use and comparison with incandescent?

Thanks! =)
    Ricardo

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hmmm...I don't know, i've never looked into it. I just use incandescent bulbs because my boyfriend is an electrician and thats what he brings home for me, maybe I should ask him to look at halogen lights! ;)

3. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Doh I guess I shouldn't have gotten rid of my X=P He could have came into use after all!

4. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Hummm... I thought there would be more halogen users...

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I've used halogen's they are good lights when you can get a fair price on them, as for being better then Incandescent's I would say it's a toss up. The money saved in power vs the money spent on a halogen light is the best sell point. Halogens do produce a small level of UVB but it's too little for most UV loving reptiles. So a UV lamp will still be needed. For reptiles that don't need UV Halogens work well and save energy costs. For UV loving reptiles the best All around light is HQL lighting to provide UV and Heat from a single source.

6. joeking

joeking Elite Member

halogen is also a lot brighter then the florecents if I'm correct, wouldn't that bother the night lovers?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since you don't leave the lights on at night it shouldn't be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.