This Disappears When Logged In

Halloween Crabs.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Anthony14, May 21, 2011.

1. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

The local reptile store is going to be getting some Halloween Crabs but finding information on them is extrememly difficult. I was thinking this would be an extremely refreshing change as it's such a unique animal as far as pets go lol.

Heres one eating jelly:

[​IMG]

However, considering the odd chance that someone might know about these animals I was thinking of either a bottom substrate being sand and a top substrate as just repti bark/topsoil or just only reptilebark without the sand. The are comepletely terrestrial and only go to the ocean to breed, however they seem to enjoy digging burrows. My rooms ambient temperature is around 79-83 degrees and since they are from Costa Rica originally I think this would be suitable. I have a 3'x3' enclosure laying around that I think would be perfect for two. Any tips from anyone or information would be awesome!

Anyone elses opinions on these beautiful and fascinating critters?

.Gifs don't seem to work on this site. :c

Attached Files:

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I have never seen those before. They are cute, what kind of "jelly?" is it eating?
    How big are they?

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The site accepts gif files without issue. I even tested it to ensure I wasn't mistaken. Gif files are typically larger than jpg files so that may have been the issue. If the file size didn't fall into the accepted parameters it would be rejected. When you add an attachment it should also tell you the problem. If you get an error message you should send it to me so I can then look into it further.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've never seen anything like it! Very cool looking, hope your able to find the information on their care!

5. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

My sister has one I don't know much about them but they are cool watch move around thee tank. For substrate I know my little sister uses the coco husk stuff. Hope this helps

6. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

No need to worry, It was probably just my incompetance. I will try again later to see if I can get it to work, I may have even saved the gif. improperly myself.

Well here's some videos straight off of Youtube that I would assume depict them in their adult size. I think I read somewhere they can be about 2-3.5" across the carapace(just the body, legs excluded).

Edit: Nevermind, you are not aloud to post links to youtube. Anyways you can just search "halloween crab" on youtube and the first two results give you a good idea, the first one is of one walking around a guys hand and the other is two crabs exploring their enclosure and investigating a piece of lettuce.

Thanks for the information, I might use a hybrid mixture of finely ground coco-husk and larger chunks like I use for my ball python. Good to know someone else is using that substrate with success, or atleast I assume successfully lol.

Thanks, I hope I can too. But one of the sites that had the most information was written by a guy who drowned both his crabs thinking they needed water...so theirs not much trustworthy information to go on. :p

7. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

That feeding video was neat :) What interesting animals!

8. mld

9. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

That was why I was just coming back to check on this thread, I noticed this caresheet earlier and was going to post why I don't trust any of the information on these guys.

When I looked at that caresheet I came to the conclusion that they just crossed a hermit crab caresheet with a halloween/moon crab caresheet because halloween crabs don't need shells to switch into.

Yeah, I love that video, they seem so silly and suprisingly active. Hopefully I can figure out all I need to know about them so I can get them sometime.

These crabs seem to be getting setup for disaster though, they are really pretty, very interesting and extremely cheap(10-15$ each)...that is just the recipe for poor care by owners who just feel like buying something, not to mention most of the information on them is misleading or wrong.

10. mld

Yeah I see what you mean with them saying having a few shells around for them to go into when they are finished molting! Weird

Anyway her is another one, sounds like they like to bury themselves from other articles I've read;
    http://www.noahsarkpetsshop.com/care3/purplemooncrab.html

11. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Yes they do like to bury themselfs in the substrate atleast my sisters does. An as for successfully keeping them on coco husk it's been working since she got hers in november.

12. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll probably see about getting them sometime next week but first I need to message the place to see if they have them in stock before setting up an enclosure lol.

I was wondering if I got lucky, does anyone else have specialty reptile stores like this where they live? This will be where I get my halloween crabs from! :)

http://hamiltonreptile.com/index.php?p=available