This Disappears When Logged In

Had to Share... Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Cryssy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Wow I thank everyone has the same story of the same lady and knows her, she has a Burmese python she is letting it roam free, it sleeps next to her at night. But one day it stops eating but looks like its getting longer, takes it to the vet and the vet said it was stretching it self out to eat her... Bogus

One of my neighbors told me that he had found king and rat snakes in the wild that were 20 feet long, and a friend of his was in Africa and killed and skinned a 100 ft snake, and still had the skin to prove it, well I researched this snake skin can stretch when its fresh but if he skinned a 18 ft snake it may stretch out to, if true, at a max of another 10ft

I have had my ball python in my bed when iv dosed off iv even napped with it. Ive had my big one around my neck where she has gotten pretty tight but not so much to choke me just made it a lil uncomfortable...

The gila monster I dont know much about, however I have petted and chilled with a komodo dragon. And what I was told by the herper there that its like a dart frog, the bacteria in there mouths and from there silyva all depends on what they eat, but they get the bacteria too because it takes them soo long to digest their food. But In captivity are not as dangerous and can be mild tempered but not recommended as pets... But was cool to pet it

2. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

The ap show about the "super man-eating snake" ****ed me off. Ok the chances of an african rock and a burmees mating are not that great, can it happen, yes will it make a bigger snake, probley not. Now a burmball... The biggest one ive seen wa about 10 foot and looked like an over sized normel ball python. And ive seen some that wont get bigger then 6 feet but looked like a midget form of a burmees, what an awsome hybrid

3. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

Definitely understand the being ****ed off. I may be a newbie to reptiles but the whole show struck me as being just full of bullpoopy. It gives the snakes an "I hate you and will kill you and eat you" persona.

4. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I know, I am like its a python, humans aint on the menue besides it still wouldnt get big enough to get its mouth on me

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you saying that you know someone with a pet komodo dragon?

6. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

arent komodos a protected species and not allowed as pets in any of the countries?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly!
    And they are not known to be the most docile of animals!

8. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Our zoo has 3 of them, and needless to say, while I enjoy the opportunity to observe them, there is no way on EARTH I would ever "pet them".

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Since the subject of petting komodo dragons came up...I broke my solemn oath an watched Kate +8 a couple of months ago. They went on vacation to Australia. While there, they went to Australia Zoo and Kate had the opportunity to...PET A KOMODO DRAGON!!! West (Steve Irwin's best friend) took her into the enclosure and stood right beside this beautiful dragon so this hystrionic basket case of a woman put one finger onto it and almost ran out of the enclosure. I seem to recall reading somewhere (can't remember where or I would cite the source), that komodos are actually fairly smart and can be trained if they are fed well enough. Incidentally, I have also seen accounts of crocodilians being trained to be hand fed and petted in some Asian country, Thailand or somewhere like that comes to mind. Again, without appropriate proof, I realize this is not to be taken as actual fact. I apologize for forgetting the sources.

10. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Komodo's can definetly be trained, seen it done at my Zoo

11. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree....I know the keepers at our zoo have said the same thing...(That they "can be" trained)...All I know is that I still wouldn't even think about petting one....I've seen the scars and wounds they have also given to each other at various times, and know for a fact that I wouldn't EVER chance one of them "going berserk" for some reason or another......but Hey, that is just me.

@David, I also remember reading about and seeing a video about this one adult crocodile that was supposedly completely tamed and was now handfed by this one guy.....If my memory serves me, I think the crocodile was either shot or injured severely at one time, and then this one guy nursed it back to health and in doing so "tamed him"....It looked pretty convincing to me, but like you I can't confirm it, because I don't remember the source..only vaguely remember the story and definitely remember the photos of him and the crocodile "playing/wrestling"...(I was shaking my head thinking...no way!!!!)

12. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

No It was just in captivity. like a zoo sitting, but more like a wildlife park that had a reptile section.