This Disappears When Logged In

Had to Share... Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Cryssy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

I grew up in Massachussetts USA and I remember growing up and everytime I went swimming my mom or dad would tell me to watch out for water mocassins because they are venomous and grow large enough to eat small children and teenagers! were they surprised when I was 15 and did some research to find out that water mocassins do NOT live any futher north than some swamp in Virginia and that the largest water snake in Mass was only 3-4' in length lol.

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I saw that show Cryssy. I think it was more media hype to make snakes more frightening so legislature will pass the laws necessary to end all reptile ownership once and for all. If I sound overly paranoid, it is because Animal Planet has not shown a FACTUALLY based show about snakes in a dog's age(pardon the pun) and they have become more anti-reptile lately.
    Anyway enough of me on my soapbox, I just think it was not even close to factual and it was designed to make people afraid that these "monster snakes" are hiding outside just waiting to pence on some unsuspecting victim who happens to cross its path.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Oops, pence=pounce! Sorry.

4. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I love the threads about stories like this. I think we have all heard this exact same story with a different snake lol. The most recent funny thing I heard was a local pet store employee tried to tell me to be careful with my ball pythons because if they start there winter fast (which mine are just coming out of) they will never eat again and will eventually die. Another one was recently someone I know tried to tell me I have some very dangerous pets to be careful if my iguana bites me I will die from the toxins in there saliva.

5. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

As far as I know only the komodo dragon has toxins in it's saliva.

6. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

thats suppose to be like the only poisonous lizard (the komodo draga) but idk about gilla monsters...

and my friend was so convinced she had a kind cobra living under her bed when she lived in georgia and she says she's seen a bunch of wild king cobras in georgia and i always tell her no, it was probly some other common snake king cobras dont live in georgia...

7. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

As far as I'm concerned, you can stay on your soapbox, because I completely agree. All I could think was 'you've got to be kidding' when I was watching it but I wanted to see just what kind of BS they're putting out there. I also noticed that most of the experts shown were from the U.S. Geoligical Survey, but when I looked up the snake on the invasive species list it wasn't there? I did find a link on that site to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website, where they have it on the invasive species list. Hmmm..., I think I'm paranoid, too, lol.

Gila monsters have potent bacterias in their saliva as well, but I don't think it's quite as deadly as a Komodo, maybe?

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Komodo dragons have a venom gland that secrets at the base of the teeth, but for the most part, the amount of bacteria in their mouth is far more lethal than the actual venom.

It was probably one of three snakes, a ratsnake, a king snake, or a racer. Really depends on the area she lived in. As far as venomous lizards go, the gilla monster, mexican bearded lizard, eastern bearded dragons, and komodo dragons have venom glands. However, only the gilla monster and komodo have active secretion systems, while the more dangerous aspect is the bacteria they carry in their saliva (E. Coli, Staph, Salmonella, and various others).

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually the gila monster and mexican beaded lizard have long been known as the only two venomous lizards in the world. The concept of komodos being venomous is a fairly recent bit of news.

10. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Hows fairly recent? cuz I was hearing about it in the 80's

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Not sure, but it was always thought that it was the bacteria that would lead to infection, but now its venom! Have to google that one!

12. Merlin

That's interesting! Since it was first suggested in 2006 and proven in 2009.

13. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

From my understanding from my zoology text books back in high school, the venom is not potent enough to cause harm to people or most large animals. The real threat is the bacteria that lives in the mouth of the Komodo Dragon, which it doesn't help that they produce increased amounts of saliva that aids in the development of bacteria. The fun fact about their saliva, the enzymes can cause E. Coli and Staph bacteria to completely develop in less than 8 hours, while in normal conditions, it would take at least 2 days.

14. Merlin

15. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Interesting, come to think of it it wasn't venom I was told back then it was bacteria, tho I had heard more than once during the 90s that a human can't touch a komodo because it secrets poison on its skin like sweat.

16. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

That's fascinating, all this time I thought it was only bacteria. Just goes to show that we still have a lot to learn about about our world and its inhabitants.

17. Merlin

That one belongs in our Snake nonsense stories thread!:D

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is another story that gave me a chuckle yesterday!

Well, I went to the pet store, anyway there were some guys there, macho type guys with tattoos, piercings, in their late 20's early 30's. They were looking at the ball pythons, one of them mentioned that he used to have a coral snake that was a real bitter, I said wow, your lucky to be here! He said oh it didn't hurt at all, he was always biting him. I had a little chuckle and said are you sure it was a coral, he said yes! I decided to inform him that they are venomous!
    He looked a little embarrassed and we went over some of the snakes that he probably owned instead and it turns out it was a corn snake!

Too funny!

19. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

That is embarrassing! I bet he felt kinda dumb for all that, lol. At least you helped him figure out what he actually had.

20. stormdas

stormdas Well-Known Member

The snake sleeping in the bed not so hard to believe. I have a 7ft red tail that when the girlfriend cleans his cage I put him on the bed with me and he will crawl under the covers and on numerous occasions he and I have taken naps together. My spider ball python also liked crawling under the covers and falls asleep.