This Disappears When Logged In

Habitat thus far. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by BrownFoundling, Jan 11, 2015.

1. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Here are some pictures of what I have come up with as a habitat thus far for my new little gecko. I think that he or she (I really need to come up with a name) has been hiding out behind the large piece of cork leaning against the back wall during the day today. I'm hoping it will come out where I can see it this evening.

I was originally thinking of making it a fully planted habitat, but due to his or her nocturnal sensibilities I am leaning toward having one end with live plants in pots and the other with artificial ones. I will need to find some bigger artificials though. I am using paper towels as a substrate right now so I can hopefully monitor feces production fairly easily. I intend to switch to dampened sphagnum moss after I can tell that he or she is eating regularly. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Is the top covered at all or is it just a screen top? If its just screen covering most of it will help with humidity. As far as eating, if there's some missing from the dish, its being eaten. One of mine is only 4" and sometimes its hard to see if there's any actually missing, depending on the consistency of it though.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

4. BrownFoundling

One side of the top is covered with corrugated plastic and the other side with clear plexiglass. The 40 watt light I have used to bring up the temps a few degrees does soften the plexi enough for it to warp right under the bulb which sits about two inches away from the surface. That is why I asked about a heat emmiter in another thread. I know I can dial back a CHE so that it won't produce too much heat for the enclosure. I use one to bump the heat up about ten degrees in my brown anole tank.

5. BrownFoundling

I was looking at some curly willow branches that are at Michaels arts and crafts. Any idea if they would be safe to use? They are not dyed nor are they coated in anything, just the bare wood.

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

You can hook a dimmer up to the light and control the temp it puts out that way too.

7. BrownFoundling

I may try that. With the solid tops I think that it will retain heat reasonably well through the night and with the light dimmed down some it would gradually warm it up through the day but hopefully won't be too hot for the plexi.

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

If you move it inside and put a screen and frame around it it'll be safe and hold humidity nice. Pretty sure your temps would be fine during the night, as they can deal with being pretty cool at night.

9. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

It needs lots more plants. Especially for a baby! It would be way freaked out. And you really need to be careful with water bowls, they can drown themselves.

10. BrownFoundling

I'm going to go out and try to find some larger artificial plants. I am thinking that the fake flower section of the dollar store may help me out.

As for the water bowls, I am trying to keep them filled shallowly. I went with two bowls to help with humidity. I might be able to cut it down to just one.

Speaking of bowls, do I need to/should I do anything to make the food dish noticeable and if so what? I'm guessing that he or she will find it by sense of smell? I haven't come across information as to how they locate non-prey food. Would it be good to set out more than one? Right now I have it up on the platform on the back of the tank with the notion that the little one would be more comfortable eating up above the ground.

11. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

You don't need to make it more noticeable. But you do need more than one, maybe even 3 while a baby. Where it is is fine, but if it can't find it in such a big tank, that could be a problem.

12. ncrews33388

ncrews33388 New Member

Some branches would be nice..... What kind of gecko is it

13. BrownFoundling

A juvenile crested gecko.

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

You can grab some branches off a local tree and bake them to sanitize them. Just make sure they aren't pine or cedar.

15. BrownFoundling

I picked up some artificial flower and leaf "bushes" at the dollar store and a couple of glasses to put them in. They should help. I do like the idea of finding a cool looking (for my sake) branch or two or three or four.