This Disappears When Logged In

Habacrete Vivarium mortar

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Paige, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I ordered 5 pounds..(50 bucks plus shipping) I couldn't affor 10 which is what the guy said it would take to do the whole 55..so I am going to do the pools and waterfall and filters with it and what ever if any left just gonna make rock like areas..and do the rest with silicone and EE.

I was curious if anyone has used the mortar?

I may need some help haha or some sort of direction of how to make it look like rock one I get it. I also need adive on coloring..I am not sure if I keep it the same color or if I add to it?

I hope I can get this to look great! I think it will look good with the different two looked (rock and EE) background if I can pull it off.

I am getting the expanding foam this weekend..and going to try and get started soon. I am nervous about doing it by myself =) but the pools worked nicely..they are at least watertight!

Ps I will post pics of the pools with the waterfall. I want to know which sie I should place the waterfall..for best effects and use!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Habacrete Vivarium mortar?

I've heard of the product but have never used it. Please take lots of pics so we can learn as you learn.:) I'd like to know how it turns out for you.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i have heard lots of good things about it. Good luck!

4. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I will try =)

here are the pools with water and the waterfall. Could I get some opinions on which side looks best? I took abunch at different angles so I cold get some good advice. I want to camo the filters with the mortar..so it blends into the wall. I plan on doing the pools and pool wall with the mortar and if any left doing areas with the remaining mortar..and then fill in the space with silicone and EE

I wonder if the fall has too much pressure for the crabs? Should it matter which direction it faces? I took lots of pics hoping I can get some good input on this. Also, the waterfall is about and inch off the bottom because I didn't want any sand or E if any gets into the pools to get sucked int the filters.

pics of the waterfall when on the back wall..so the fall is facing the viewer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pics of the waterfall on the side so the fall is no facing the viewer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Passion4Pythons

Passion4Pythons Active Member

i vote first way =D

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

If you are going to amke rocks and stuff for the water to flow down, I doubt you need to worry about the water pressure. Running down the rocks will slow it some. I also think that if that is the case you will have more room to do it facing away... Are you going to have 2 filters or is just one side going to be filtered?

7. Paige

Paige Elite Member

I will have a filter on tboth sides..but only one waterfall one. I am not sure I am doing the rock all the way down the filter..so yes it will partially slow the flow I guess. I think the front (first) view will be able to look better...but I will have more room the die 9second) view. SO I am not sure what is best.

8. Paige

Paige Elite Member

yes I will have a filter on the other pool too, but it is smaller and not a waterfall.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Paige, i think its however YOU want it to look. :)

Welcome to my world of trial and error. What we do wrong the first time, makes us smarter in the end.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Liz has the right of it....

11. SaltadorsDad

SaltadorsDad Member

-grins evilly- I found on their site where it said 5lbs for 35 bucks. :p Even though it was a past advertisment (one they forgot to remove) they gave me the deal and removed that particular price. So I've got 5lbs coming to me too for my waterfall and riverbank. I'm not planning on coating anything for the riverbank, I'm going to create a solid wall out of the mortar. The waterfall however I will need to. Let me know what you think of the product when you get it. I'm not sure what the shipping time is on it, but they shipped mine yesterday. :( That's all I'm lacking to actually start work, drilling holes in my tank and whatnot.

12. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

if u wanted to add a filter to the salt side
    you could just make sure its rated for salt and freshwater use.
    I used a powerfilter for one of my nano tanks for a while but its function wasnt nearly as efficient. But it wasnt made for saltwater

13. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Aren't you the lucky one???!!!! :)

14. Paige

Paige Elite Member

yeah it cost me 55...with shipping i think..for 5 pounds. The guy shipping it says they had a delay n the shippment cause some packages exploded and the people freaked thinking it was poisonous or something. so mine was shipped I think yesterday too, after they redid the packaging to be sure it wouldn't bust open again.

I know it is up to me with where to put the filter lol..I just wanted opinions...and since you all know or have done this sorta think before it wouldn't hurt for you opinions. I had one vote for side and one fore back...so I am still undecided. I think I will wait until I mortar the filters and then see how the water flows before deciding.

I'll work on mine slowly...it is sorta a slow process anyways...add some let dry maybe add some more? I am not sure 5 pounds will be enough so I have to at least get the pools side done with it...then I will silicone and EE the rest.

15. SaltadorsDad

SaltadorsDad Member

Have you recieved yours yet?

16. SaltadorsDad

SaltadorsDad Member

I got my 5lbs. It doesn't look like it's going to be nearly enough. This could be expensive. Unfortunately, me and my girlfriend broke up so I'm moving out of our apartment and Sal is of course coming with me. So our reconstruction will have to be put on hold until we'll comfortable in our new home.

17. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Expensive-oh yeah. I'm not sure why they sell it in a 5 lb bag. Except that it's an easier sell and then you have to go back and buy more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.