This Disappears When Logged In

H.R.3501 - a Bill That Really Would Be Nice

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by zaroba, Feb 14, 2011.

1. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

every once in a while a good bill comes along.
    but for some reason, we never seem to hear of it.

why is it people only raise a crowd when the reptile banning bills come around? where are the crowds of people emailing senators and congressmen about this bill? it came around in 2009 and from what details i can find, still has yet to be voted on. so lets get emailing!

Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a deduction for pet care expenses.
    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the `Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
    The Congress finds the following:
    (1) According to the 2007-2008 National Pet Owners Survey, 63 percent of United States households own a pet.
    (2) The Human-Animal Bond has been shown to have positive effects upon people's emotional and physical well-being.

SEC. 3. DEDUCTION FOR PET CARE EXPENSES.
    (a) In General- Part VII of subchapter B of chapter 1 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to additional itemized deductions for individuals) is amended by redesignating section 224 as section 225 and by inserting after section 223 the following new section:

SEC. 224. PET CARE EXPENSES.
    (a) Allowance of Deduction- In the case of an individual, there shall be allowed as a deduction for the taxable year an amount equal to the qualified pet care expenses of the taxpayer during the taxable year for any qualified pet of the taxpayer.
    (b) Maximum Deduction- The amount allowable as a deduction under subsection (a) to the taxpayer for any taxable year shall not exceed $3,500.
    (c) Qualified Pet Care Expenses- For purposes of this section, the term `qualified pet care expenses' means amounts paid in connection with providing care (including veterinary care) for a qualified pet other than any expense in connection with the acquisition of the qualified pet.
    (d) Qualified Pet- For purposes of this section--
    *(1) QUALIFIED PET- The term `qualified pet' means a legally owned, domesticated, live animal.
    *(2) EXCEPTIONS- Such term does not include any animal--
    **(A) used for research or owned or utilized in conjunction with a trade or business, or
    **(B) with respect to which the taxpayer has claimed a deduction under section 162 or 213 in any of the preceding 3 taxable years.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for part VII of subchapter B of chapter 1 of such Code is amended by striking the last item and inserting the following new items:
    *Sec. 224. Pet care expenses.
    *Sec. 225. Cross reference.'.

(c) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2009.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hey! Thanks for spotting that, that is a good bill!

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Doesn't the term domesticated apply to cats, dogs and livestock. Not our beloved herps? I could be wrong but I don't consider any of mine really "domestic".

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Even though the most common definition is an animal that aids human welfare (cats, dogs, fish, and livestock), the broader definition is any animal that can successfully live with a person (including snakes, lizards, and other various herps).

I believe the catch 22 for this bill would be how they would define domestic animals and how the definition could easily be changed.

5. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

Veerrrryyy interesting. so would any animal covered have to have some type of registry? Imagine a snake wearing dog tags.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Domesticated refers generally to those animal that have been bred in captivity for so long that little or none of their original wild behaviors remain.
    This bill would likely be solely for dogs and cats etc. excluding our scaly friends.

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I knew it was way too good to be true!

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

It is still. A good bill. You spend 200 for a dog to get fixed and wormed, then another 150 for your cat declawed fixed and wormed. That is 350 write off, not to mention heart worm, feal and tick stuff. It has its benifits.

9. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Good idea in theory but it would create a lot of potential for abuse there though. There are already to many people with pets who shouldn't have term in the first place. I can see people getting an animal just for the deductions.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Those of us with more traditional pets as well could use a break!
    And that means that we will have more money for caring for our scalies!
    I just doubt that they will include herps in the deductions.

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I can see the abuse with it. You would just need documents of what you have done. Most people would probably never know about this anyway unless their cpa said something.

12. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

Well, like with any write off, it would require saving receipts as proof.

While there could be abuse (like with every single other thing that gives people free money), it could also help prevent animals being dumped on shelters as people might have more incentive to care for their animals if they were cheaper to care for.

13. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Regular vet checkups would be proof enough I would think, just keeping your records.

To claim a child all they have to be is born before midnight new years eve and you are able to claim them for the entire year... I don't have kids but my cousin was hopeful with her last child (she has 5) to beat new years.