This Disappears When Logged In

Guess what I brought home

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by Colleen, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Well I went a little wild, but not too bad. :D It was a fun and interesting experience going to my first Reptile show. Some breeders wouldn’t give me the time of day, so I didn’t give them my money. I figured if the breeders wouldn’t answer my questions then I wasn’t interested enough to buy from them either. :( Even simple questions like the price of a reptile. Other were more then willing to share information and a few even had care sheets to go along with the reptiles. I will have a few questions about some of the new kids we got, but right now everyone is their new home, we’ll make changes in the next few days.

Here is our stash:

1 Wild Okeettee Corn Snake(female) who is visiting while I am typing
    1 Albino Corn Snake (male)
    1 Breaded Dragon (female) fell in love with her not sure what kind but she is orange/yellow
    Leopard Gecko (need help with this one)
    2 green tree frogs
    1 Rose Tarantula

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Congrats on the new additions. The rule of thumb is to research the herps before you bring them home. lol Its a good practice to get into.

We have a good caresheet on the site pertaining to leopard geckos. It can answer most of your questions.

As you already know, post any questions you need answered. :D

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awwww Colleen... you did well....sounds like you had a great time....I know my first reptile show to me was just a taste of Heaven on Earth.....let us know if you have questions....Lyn

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Mmmmm...I like mine deepfried! Haha i'm just kidding, sounds like you made a killing, I haven't ever been to a good herp expo, which is probably a good thing because I don't have any more room!

5. Shoobly

Shoobly Elite Member

Wow, nice. Sounds like you made out pretty well, lol. Make sure you post lots of pics once they're all settled! :)

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Congrats on your new additions, and sorry to be a party pooper, but sorry, I do find people who don't research the species before they buy irresponsible. Just my opinion. I don't understand how someone can expect to look after an animal if they don't know what the animal needs. But anyway, what's done is done, good luck with them - we have some excellent care sheets, as does the web, and post any questions you have.

7. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

"I do find people who don't research the species before they buy irresponsible."
    I guess I should have been more specific when I said I wasn't as prepared for the Leo. I have read over all of your care sheet even on critters I would never consider buying. I knew all the basic need but didn't have the temperatures etc in my little brain. I now have review all the information. Yes, so it is only in a 10 gallon at the moment. But I don't think that is too bad as it is only 2-3" long, there is water available, a hide (which will be changed today as I don't like it), even some artificial plants in it's environment, a full spectrum basking spot etc. He was running around last night exploring his new home. Next time I promise to have the care sheets in hand before I bring something home. Going out today to get a variety of food that is needed. I didn't want to attempt to feed yesterday, as I was worried about adding one more stress to them. I figured that it was more important for them to adjust to their new environment first.

Good note: one of the young ladies who went with me yesterday, brother work for a breeder who raised skinks, snakes, bd, leos, you name it, so I have a great local source for help and information. He is willing to assist as needed but he doesn’t want to work with them on a day-to-day basis. The breeder stopped breeding oh well.

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Congrats on the new additions..I didnt get to go to the rep show...but im def. going in feb for my bday lol :)

9. Dee

Dee Elite Member

:confused: That's a bit harsh, especially when going to a show and not knowing specifically what you're going to buy. The best you can do in that situation is have your basics and make do until you get the rest of your habitat set up. I don't think you fully read her first post: "right now everyone is their new home, we’ll make changes in the next few days." You're letting the careless ones get to you, Bitis!!!

10. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats Colleen, at least you are on a forum that can supply useful helpful information from awesome members. Feel free to ask away...and dont forget to post pics, it is a requirement on HC :p

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Congrats on the new additons, i expect to see pics soon :p Great to hear that you had fun.

12. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hi Colleen,

Sounds like you had too much fun at the show(lol). You did good and you'll do the right thing!

Steven

13. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Congrats on the new additions Colleen. It must be difficult to research a specific species when you don't actually know what you will fall for until you get to the show. I have never been to a proper reptile show but I don't think my hubby would let me unless he superglued his wallet shut heheheee Please post pics when they are settled :)

14. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

That was the difficult part not knowing what they would have a reptile show. :confused: I tried to bring along notes on what different critters would need so I would be somewhat prepared. With my past experience with Token Geckos I didn’t envision bringing home the Leo. But he is quite tame and is adjusting to his new home. He seems calm when he is held, have to wait and see on that one. Everyone else is doing great also after readjustment to their new homes. The cockatiels are a bit ticked off, as they now have to share their mommy and Sean time. Oh well life will go on… Pictures will come after Christmas; I think Santa is bringing a digital camera. I’ll be off line for a bit, due to surgery but I’ll have Sean pass on any info or questions we might have. Happy Holidays to all. :)

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL Colleen! You fell off the wagon big time heh?
    And beleive me you aren't the first person that went to a show and came home with something a bit unexpected. There is always the chance that something unusual will catch your eye and as in the case with shows, if you don't get it then, then you don't get it! What Rachel is referring to is someone that has absolutely no clue about any part of the care needed and buys it anyway.

16. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Did you bring Sean with you to the show? You got a good lot of new babies in your family. There are reptile shows close to me all the time. I avoided it last time which was a few months ago, there was everything there from what I heard...even exotic mammals like tigers and cheetahs. I suppose next time I'll have to go and grab me a charcoal motley or an okeetee corn if they have one.

17. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

No Sean didn’t come with me, if he had it would have cost me twice as much. He would have wanted to do a lot of impulse buying, which isn’t good. There is a show every month and the herp society has two a year. I think the next time we will go is in the spring after become very comfortable with our new finds. But I really like the BD ;)

18. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I bet it would have cost you tons more if you went impulse buying...I never bring money with me when I go to a pet store for that reason, if I do bring money it's because I have a purpose in buying something particular. LOL

If I go to a reptile show any time soon I hope I'll have in mind what I want, if not then I'll probably just research the one's I see there and get them somewhere else if I find that I want them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.