This Disappears When Logged In

Grown Boa Enclosures

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Aminor55, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Aminor55

Aminor55 Member

Good Morning,Afternoon, Evening (Depending on when you read this!),

I have a 7 month old red tailed boa who is amazing. I am wondering about future enclosures and what everyone has done for a full grown red tailed? I would like to be able to give her as much space as she would like while still being able to provide a viewing area for myself (somewhat selfish, I know). Just reaching out to see if I can get pictures or drawing of what others have done. I currently have a large wall display in mind, however that would take creating and I worry about using the correct products to avoid any types of issues.

Thank you!
    Ashley

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I'd say a minimum size of 6'x2'x2', though 7'-8' wide would be better. Taller than 2' and you'll have difficulty heating it properly. There are a number of places that will build something for you if you don't want to do it yourself. A few years ago I decided to build some plywood enclosures myself to save money, found it cost more than I'd figured on originally, and took longer as well.
    Now I buy pvc enclosures from Animal Plastics. They're lightweight, easy to assemble, and aside from the several months waiting time between ordering and actual delivery I love them.
    If you do decide to build your own I'd recommend at least 3/4" plywood, and even with that you'll probably want to brace the middle to prevent sagging. Paint or stain the wood however you like, then apply several coats of Minwax Polycrylic to the inside to seal the wood and GE Type 1 silicone caulk around the seams.
    I found round plastic vents available online, place several on each side rather than in the top to help maintain humidity inside the enclosure. Silicone them into place after cutting holes with a hole saw. I found plastic sliding glass tracks available on Amazon, and after building and measuring got 1/4" glass cut to size at a local glass place. Cut it wide enough to overlap a bit in the center.
    Radiant heat panel inside top on one end and Herpstat to regulate the temp.