This Disappears When Logged In

Groan! (Venting thread!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redgirl77, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

Okay so I discovered a forum for my state's dept of nat resources... the idiots on that forum bragging about killing snakes!!! :mad: I had to put my foot in (and I was nice about it!)

"Okay, I have to step in here. I can't believe the pure lack of consideration for animals on this board. All animals are good, whether we like them or not. Spiders rid us of insects and snakes rid us of rodents. They are of great importance to our ecosystem and just because you build a building on top of their home doesn't give you the right to kill them. Remember the movie Independence Day??? It's not so fake... we are doing that to animals all around us, killing them off and using up there natural resources till there is nothing left and then we just move on the next patch of land...

Please remember the more you kill these precious animals (including the venomous ones) the more you are inviting rodents and insects into your home, which are more harmful and of bigger nuisance than any snake or spider."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Good for you for speaking up! They were BRAGGING about killing snakes? Senseless. :mad:

3. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

Yeah some guy had asked if anyone had spotted any copperheads lately and then people starting chiming right and left in about the copperheads and rattlers they've killed! One woman bragged about killing a black rat snake to protect her child! Granted, she didn't know enough to know it wasn't venomous, but GOOD GRIEF!!! How many invenomations are the result of people killing them to "protect" there property/family anyway??? Just stay away! Find a relocator! But do NOT approach them and kill them!!! (sigh) My future concept has a looooong way to go! Please pray that I can make V.E.R.G. happen!!!

4. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

What does VERG stand for, Red?

5. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

VERG is my concept reptile center. It would like a zoo, but much, much more and it would focus solely on reptiles. VERG actually stands for Venom Emergency Response Group, but it would be more than just tending to snake bite victims. Education and public outreach would be a big part of it. Rescuing, rehabbing, releasing and relocating would also be part of it. In it's best stage, even research to better cohabitation would be a part of it. But it's too early to say right now if I can even bother with getting it copyrighted! LOL

Step one is joining the local herp society and conducting preliminary research to see what demand might be out there. Then, once that's done, if it looks promising, then training and college is my next step. I would need to regain my EMT status and get a BS in Biology. I don't know what would come after that... maybe land and building the facility. It's so overwhelming to think of at times, but if I do it one step at a time, then that'll be my best bet.

There are relocators here, but the problem I have with them all is that they just aren't a big force for the public and they don't try to be. I want to reach zoo status. I want the 50+ acres, teeming with herps from all over the world. I want to be in the publics face... in the schools, in churches, in other events... I'm so tired of the apeman mentality "Ug! See snake! Ug! Evil! Ug! Kill snake!" It's driving me nuts. Roger's not to thrilled of course, but he'll have to get over it.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

great idea,,,and awesome aspirations....like you said,,,one step at a time....the best of luck to ya and keep kj in mind for future employment

7. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

If I can get anything remotely like it off and running then consider both of you hired! (That is if y'all like to relocate to Charleston, SC! LOL)

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

cool and relocation is not a problem,,,,i'm sick of the darned cold weather and it has got to be warmer in s.c. than va.

9. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

Yeah! LOL It can reach freezing and below here, but not for long... Our weather is absolutely nutty! Just be sure that you really do want long summers with triple digit heat index, 90+ temps, and humidity so thick you feel like you need a knife to walk through it! LOL I was born and raised here so it doesn't bother me... in fact, I prefer it. The EMS for Dorchester County has awesome uniforms to help them deal with the heat. It's some kinda very breathable fabic that is great against skin... it's got reeeaaaally small holes too to help with the breathability... It's cool. My EMT teacher is a Paramedic with them and my brother is a cop for the same county.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.