This Disappears When Logged In

Green Tree Python Setups

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by PeanutsMarmiteSydney, Jun 25, 2013.

1. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

PeanutsMarmiteSydney Elite Member

Hey all,

I'm considering a GTP as a purchase next year (late next year!) and was wondering how you guys were set up and what equipment was included in your setups. I want to see pictures and get some ideas of how you achieve your temps and humidity as there will be (no doubt) various ways of doing everything. Curiosity is playing a big part in me asking this also, as I am pretty nosy :)

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Main thing with them is to know you wont be handling them that much. Though some are okay others simply don't care for it. Being arboreal they do better with a heat panel controlled by a thermostat of some sort. I would suggest pvc caging, though I use glass but it can be more work in them. Have good skill in handling snakes as they can be moody despite many claims of both. I have some that are mellowed and some that will strike every chance they get. As to humidity, using cypress mulch I've had very good success keeping and UTH at the bottom and simply adding water to the mulch every so often. If you look through my albums you can see some pix of the enclosures. they have since been updated but you'll get the idea. Also understand that investing the money upfront will make life easier in the long run. You get what you pay for in equipment and in investing in a captive bred snake

3. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

I know that, I handle moody snakes on a weekly basis ie carpets and bloods but have never seen a GTP set up, hence why I want to see. I am aware of the requirements of these snakes but wanted to see a visual representation from a successful keeper on how to set up a good tank. Money is not an issue as when I but animals I make sure to do it the right way.

Also, I will not be handling this snake. I want to watch it, not handle, as they are hands off snakes. The only reason I would want it vaguely hand tamed is so that I can remove it for vets/tank inspection.

4. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

How did you attach your pole to the inside of the glass?

5. JoeyG

I get the pvc or fake branches to stick using double sided 3m tape. Using the closet holder for the poles against the glass. If you cut the pvc just right it adds enough pressure that the tape wont let go. Here are 2 pix. what type of enclosures were you looking to use?

7355966122_dbfaf5450b.jpg
    IMG_5180

7164808159_c59fcd67fc.jpg
    IMG_4837

Attached Files:

6. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome stuff my friend!!!!

7. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

I really want to buy one of those fancy plastic vacced vivariums, as they look great and have nice ventilation, plus they can't rot. I'd be hesitant to go for glass because of the humidity issue or wood since the high humidity might end up in it rotting or deteriorating faster than I would like. If I ended up with glass I'd cover most of the screen top.

Heat plates are not readily available in the UK (from what I can find), would I be able to use ceramics or day/night bulbs on a rotation?

8. JoeyG

PVC are the best I think. I use glass because I had all the enclosures already and just went with it. I think it gives me more flexibility now and I've come to like it for chondros. I have the majority of the screen covered by plexi glass so I have no issues with the humidity. The issues I see with the pvc cage in your case is that using bulbs or CHE the snake would get burned because it would need to be inside the enclosure with it. Being arboreal they'll get up on everything. that's why I use the heat panels (and sooo many other reasons). To use those I would say you go with glass and keep them outside. I contacted "pro products" which is where I get my heat panels. I think they ship to the UK, I'll let you know for sure when they get back to me, they're prices are very reasonable. For anyone keeping arboreal snakes that's my biggest suggestion.

9. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

That would be good. I always use guards with bulbs but would much prefer to have a heat panel. Thanks for your help, I know it will be a while until I get one but I want to make sure I can get all my bits and bobs and have my set up running for a while before I buy ones.

10. JoeyG

haven't heard back yet but I'll let you know when I know. Do you know what age you were looking at?

11. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

Probably something well established but not over a year. I really can't wait to move house lol

12. JoeyG

a yearling would probably be a good start, stay away from a young neonate as they can often times be a little hard to get started. it'll be exciting once you get to the point of choosing one :)

13. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

Lol I am going to have to wait for a bit as I already have my bumblebee royal arriving Monday, no more space until I have a bigger place!