This Disappears When Logged In

Green Tree Python Help?

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by MicahC, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Hey everyone,

I was just thinking about the possibility of me getting a Juevenile Green Tree Python. It isn't yet all green as it is still in the yellow phase, but the guy who is selling it is okay with the price of $150, good deal? I was just wondering if someone could give me a breakdown on the proper care of these snakes; humidity, temperatures, cage size, substrate...etc. Also I was wondering if a solid wood china cabinet with front doors with glass panels with the dimensions of 48 in long, 44 inches tall, and 12 inches wide, would work for a good size cage for the snake once I make it snake proof?

Well, I guess that is it. Thanks!

-Micah

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The price and the dimensions sound good to me but then again I dont have gtp. I am sure once JoeyG or projo get on they can give you more specific advie on everything.

3. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Alright, Thanks Thalatte.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

To be honest I have to ask why any chondro baby is being sold for only 150???!! Do you know the person really well and it's a breeder that likes you or a person you've only met? I've never seen a chondro at that price before and the only ones that come close are farm bred imports. Often times they have parasites and unless purchased from someone well know, many often die after a few months. Let me know a little more about the specific situation.

As to their husbandry needs they're simple. As babies keep the humidity at or above 80% all the time. This does really well with them and you'll need reliable temperature control. Shoot for 85-86 near the heat source and for a cooler side. They'll need thick cover till they adjust and watch as many feeding videos on you tube as you can. Young are notorious for going off feed when transferred and unless you're spot on with care it may be difficult to get them eating again. I use cypress mulch as a substrate and it must be changed regularly to avoid issues. I would not recommend wood for a chondro cage because of the high humidity and constant spraying. My enclosures accumulate tons of water that is absorb by the mulch! I honestly would suggest PVC as the number one choice! I use glass because I just had them when I started but I'm also have one in a front opening bin and doing well so far :) Don't be afraid to use bin or tubs for the time being. they hold humidity extremely well!

I also wanted to make sure you ask how well the baby is feeding, age and over all health. Young they should be very snappy and would eat nearly everyday if you let them. Good luck and let me know if there's anything I can clarify or help out with. Good luck!

5. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Thanks! To answer your question I just found a guy on Craigslist who was selling one of these beauties. I was able to get him down from $200 to $150 and he said he had paid $250 for it a couple of months ago. It is a couple months old according to him and is still in the yellow phase. I have no clue about the specifics of it but I am not even sure that I will end up buying it yet. First, I need to get all the money I need, educate myself more, and make sure it is okay with my parents! If you want I could send you the link for the Craigslist post.

A few questions......How do you keep that humidity up all the time? Do you some sort of mister or fogger that is on a timer? Would those coconut fiber blocks also work well for them instead of mulch? Because I feel that it is more of a risk for me to get mites if I use mulch instead of the coco fiber. What do you think is the best choice for a cage? Would a glass tank work or would it be too hard to keep the humidity up? I don't know what you mean about the PVC cages, are they really exspensive because I am a little tight on money.........
    Well I guess you could say that is more than a few questions..

Thanks for all your help by the way!

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I would be very careful buying a gtp off craigslist, esp a baby. No telling what that snake has been through until now

7. JoeyG

send the link if you don't mind......

8. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Yes, I know. I will look very deep into it and even look over the snake before i actually buy it, if I even end up buying it. But this guy looks very professional and he is also selling a 6 foot female Ghost Boa, a 5 and a half foot HypoJungle Boa, a 4 and a half foot Probable Super Hypo 50% het Sunglow, and a 6 foot male Jungle Carpet Python. He is also selling a punch of melimine custom built enclosures....Also from the pictures it looks like he takes good care of his snakes. Now this doesn't mean that I am not going to be very careful about this, but professionality about his post is one of the things that intrigued me in the first place. He sounded like he actually knew what he was talking about, unlike the one guy on Craigslist that is trying to sell a 16 foot green anaconda for $400.

9. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

10. JoeyG

I would say at 2 months olds is a little suspect because that's a really little guy and most people wont give them up unless the person has experience with chondros..... They are tiny at that age. Being yellow really doesn't matter because they don't change till around a year old and some even later. can you ask about the back ground and where it came from?

Glass should be okay. I use the exo terra cages and have and UTH to help evaporate the moisture from the mulch and also have the tops cover with plastic to keeps temps and humidity in. My youngest one is in a 12x12x12. they really are tiny at that age. I spray every other day since most of the humidity comes from the mulch.

11. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

How much does a 12x12x12 Exo Terra go for? Do you think that the compressed coconut fiber would work just as well as the bark too?

Thanks, I just emailed him about it. I should get a response tomorrow.

12. JoeyG

Actually looks okay..... though it's hardly a couple of months. That one is closer to a year if it's that far into changing. Ask him how it's eating and it might just be he's done with snake and why he's selling. if you do get it just make sure to keep it quarantine! that size I could do a 12x12x18h and it should be okay for a bit.

I would say starting out try using a tub actually. More privacy for the snake, cheaper, easier to keep humidity up and heat up with just 2 UTH going the whole time.....

make sure you have a good digital thermometer and hygrometer

13. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Okay sounds good to me. What would you mean by a tub? Just a like a storage bin? Like this...?

2212-xlarge.jpg

14. JoeyG

Yup, they make some that open from the front now and have a clear door. If you don't find any like that then use a clear one at least so it can have light.

15. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Okay. Thanks!

16. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Link???

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

18. JoeyG

Thanks Tia, chose a lighter color if you can. Homedepot also carries them

19. boidaesplace

boidaesplace Well-Known Member

We have a green tree as well, purchased from a gal on craigslist. He was listed as having "splayed ribs", so it sounded kinda fishy, but she kept posting the ad having no luck selling him. I drove down to Denver to check him out, he does have splayed ribs, but he is amazingly healthy! We even took him to the exotics dept. at the CSU Vet, checked out good. He is an awesome eater, I even have him eating from a cup now! (quite the sight!)
    Useful tip: We've started using household mist humidifyers, usually purchased for around $50, we then set them up through some tubing and PVC pipe, so we have have direct mist into 2 enclosures from one mister. We also set them up on timers so it's not constantly pumping in moisture, and we are able to maintain his level at 70-85%, without flooding the substrate...