This Disappears When Logged In

Green Tree Python for a Beginner?, and Some GTP Questions :)

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Arboreal, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal New Member

Hi everyone, first off I'd like to say that I am new here to the forum and have some questions about herps before I actually get one, so bear with me ;) Anyway, back to the main question. I always read in care sheets, husbandry articles and Videos that GTP's aren't for the beginner, is this true? Why or why not? I do consider myself quite knowledgeable on these snakes and I consider myself ready, but it could be COMPLETELY different than what I expected, and I'd like to know from you guys. I have handled snakes before though :) If not a GTP, which other snake would you recommend for a beginner? I was never a fan of colubrids so corns and kings are out of the question, and balls are too...too terrestrial for my tastes :eek: (I am a fan of arboreal lizards and snakes) ;) Which race tends to have the best temperament? Speaking in generalities of course. Also what should I expect to pay for my python/supplies? Would $500 be a reasonable cost of a display cage (built myself), supplies and the snake itself? I expect to pay $300-$350 for the snake. Thanks SO much for everyone's help!

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

They can be very mean. Its honestly very different from what you've read. A lot different. You can read especially about temperment until your blue in the face but its almost completely different. I can't go into detail because I'm at work, but the higher humidity alone makes it difficult. I would suggest a carpet python or a boa if you don't like corns or ball pythons. My carpet python is on her perches 90% of the time and only goes in her hide after feed.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal New Member

Thanks so much for the advice! i never thought it would be that different! I will most defiantly look into carpets!

4. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Carpets are a good starter snake if you want a arboreal snake mine loves to climb all over the house across the pictures and drapes.
    They can be nippy and a little aggressive (mine got the name Nibbles for a reason) with care and patience and a lot of work they will calm down. Unless you get lucky and get one that's tame off the bat.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

We got ours as a baby. We hold ot every few days for a little at a time and increasing. I won't lie, I've been bitten by ours like twice. Lol.

Check out the diamond coastal carpet different ones like that. Beautiful. I fell in love. Then I would move up from there after a while. Maybe Joeyg or one of them will chime in. They have lots of arboreals I believe.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

The thing with setting up a chondro is really in the enclosure type and set up you use. Everything has to be very consistent and I always suggest setting up any enclosure at least for one week and run everything to see how it varies and work out issues. They can be a bit nippy some more then others and even the calm ones will try to take a bite here and there. Males are know for feeding issues and can be picky about what they eat. Ones that are not so, tend to be a little more aggressive over all. At night they will certainly test your skills and many stubborn ones will only eat after lights out. I would not recommend chondros as a beginner snake for their higher maintenance, aggressive, and will require great patience. Tons to read out there but I would also suggest joining a forum exclusively for them to learn from real world experiences and breeders.