This Disappears When Logged In

Green Tree Frog Vivarium

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by Brewster320, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Well I started making a vivarium near the end of August out of a spare ten gallon tank I had. I started with the false bottom, mesh divider, and a small pond in the front of the tank. Then school started up and I wasn't able to work on it except for week ends.

That week end I put in a mixture of coco-fiber and potting soil for the substrate. I then put in the back ground which is a coconut-fiber thing for hermit crabs but works great for this to. And finally I put in some moss over the substrate which doesn't only look good in my opinion but helps keep the substrate out of the water so I don't have to change so often. And that was it for that weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then that Wednesday night while I was out getting crickets I grabbed some plants they had at Petco, I then went over to Home Depot and grabbed some silicone. Once I got home i planted the plants and some lucky bamboo left over from the green frogs' vivarium. Then I put a log half in the water half out with moss on it. I also siliconed a rock to the background to make a ledge and a branch across the top of the tank, putting in these two things was probably the hardest, most stressful, and most annoying part of the whole construction project and took a lot of tape and patience haha. This is what it looked like when everything dried.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This weekend I finished it with a two more plants from Home Depot. I also added a few more rocks to the pond as I figured it was a little deep for a tree frog and I was worried about it drowning.

This Sunday though my mom was at Petco and was getting my little brother some guppies that he's wanted for awhile and she knew I wanted a Green Tree frog, I wasn't planning on getting one for awhile because I wanted to make sure everything in the vivarium was ok and no leaks or the plants dieing. But she surprised me with tree frog anyway. I named him JP because my girl wanted me to (have no idea why but she was very persistent that I call him that, ha) and so far he seems pretty healthy and I've seen him eat, he even ate out of a pair a tongs so hopefully it all goes good with him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I'm done with it for now, although I want to put an Ivy in there and wrap it around the branch so it doesn't look so bare compared to everything else. Any other recommendations or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

WOW! Great job!!!

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I think it looks great too!

I'm curious though, is the water filtered somehow or do you have to change it out?

4. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

No filter, I've syphoned the water once, but that's just because the water level was too high. For some reason no algae has grown, and I don't think I'll have to change the water too often as the frog doesn't use the water like bull frog or a fire belly toad.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I suspect the water you used is chlorinated and you'll need to introduce something into the water to get algae to grow.

6. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I think the Vivarium looks great, but if i were you I would definitly keep up with changing the water out, standing water is a breeding ground for bacteria.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Definitely looks good. I have concerns about the water as well. I highly suggest a filter system. Things may be ok for a while but when they start to go it will spiral out of control.

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

They do have small filters that would fit in there. Even a small pump to create a fountain and keep the water moving would be better than just standing water.

9. schlegelbagel

Yes, they have small stand alone filters made for just a few inches of water. I would invest in one of those.

10. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

No, the water I use filtered water left to stand over right, and I'm not sure where I could get a small filter.
    I haven't seen any in the pet stores, although I have seen some small pumps that could work for me. Unfortunately I'd have to tear apart the front part of the tank, so I'm going to have to figure this out somehow.

11. schlegelbagel

12. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

You've come too far and done too nice a job to stop now!

A filter would make it a great environment for your frog.

13. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

How tall is it though?

14. schlegelbagel

Measures 3-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 7-1/2" high and includes 6 ft cord

[​IMG]

15. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ok, that's not too bad, the only problem I have is trying to make the filter blend into the vivarium. I suppose I could find a piece of cork to put over it in order to hide it. Any other ideas on how I could make the filter blend in so it's not sticking around like a sore thumb?

16. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

You should stop and take a bunch of that stuff out...... because it makes my vivs look juvenile :(

jk, nice work. :)

17. schlegelbagel

Build a few flat rocks around it, like that photo I posted. There are lots of things you can do. Cork is a good idea too. Or stick a fake plant in front of it.

18. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Build a waterfall around it, like in the picture. Then put some flat stones on top the hide it.

19. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

It all sounded good and I was planning on getting the filter today but the water height is only 1 /1/2 inches, in fact it's actually slightly lower than that. I don't think the filter would work in that. I guess I could still get a small pump to at least move the water around, any other ideas?

20. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

It might still work, you need to read the specifications for the product to determine exactly how much water depth you need.

"Description
    Provides quality three stage filtration - removing debris, discoloration, odors and ammonia from the terrarium. The design allows for operation in shallow water environments, making it ideal for creating waterfalls. A top lid keeps reptiles out of the filter chamber, while providing easy access for replacing filter cartridges."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.