This Disappears When Logged In

Green Houses.... Help, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by DustinQ, Mar 7, 2011.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Unfortunately my love for herps is very hindering in relationships, the last girlfriend was ok with them and eventually got tired of me but the general concencous is they don't like reptiles in the house...
    So because i'm not as financially stable as i'd like to be at this point in my life I havent been able to buy a house that i can make alterations neccesary to seperate the "home" from my animals. So i think the easiest solution is a greenhouse. The biggest problem i'm encountering right now is that most greenhouses are coated with poly-to block the sun's uv. Any recomendations on greenhouses that can be insulated easily (hold heat in), sturdy (high wind, heavy snow) and reasonably priced. right now i'm looking at a Rion green house and just plan to switch out the roof panels with tempered glass. Any Reviews of greenhouses used for reptiles would be much appreciated

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

As far as I'm aware, glass blocks UV as well, so whatever you use, you will still need a UV supply.
    The twin walled polycarbonate type of green house would be your best bet because it is much better insulated than glass.
    If you're going to need lamps anyway, what about building a shed? That would have the advantage in that you could insulate the walls, and you wouldn't be restricted by standard sizes if you built it yourself. It would also be more secure against the elements. It would also be much sturdier, enabling you to build shelves for your enclosures.

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I was looking into them recently and with the UV purposes needed also. Everything that I found and was that you have to buy a special glass
    "starfire glass or quartz glass" or "Solacryl" were the ones I was told of. UV will not penetrate regular tempered glass. Never got any farther in that direction. As for them being sturdy, some of them are quite sturdy. But can get quite pricey!
    As for the insulation I was told they can get overheated and have to have ventilation fans to keep them cool as well as having to have a heater for when it gets too cold in the winters.

I personally never got one but that is everything essentially I came up with when considering it.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What kind of reptiles will you be housing in there?
    What about the basement!
    I would build a garage, somewhere where you can spend some time with them, keep your feeders in, don't forget cable/phone. She just might change her mind if you end up spending too much time in your reptile/man cave!

My husband built himself a garage for his work shop. It is warmer than the house. As long as it is insulated, heated.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

if you are not living in your own home where you can make necessary alterations, how can you build a permanent structure in the yard?

Perhaps you need to take a look at the type of people your dating LOL Herps aren't just for men anymore, we women enjoy the hobby just as much !

6. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I was thinking the same thing. Many of the women I spend time with are fascinated by herps, just some would prefer to look and not touch. If you are dating people that can't stand being near them, maybe that is a sign...

7. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I'm gonna make sure I keep on the right side of you two. LOL

8. gapeachkatie

Aww, I just speak my mind, nothing to fear! :p

Oh, and for the sake of the topic, if you are completely able to build where you are living, a shed would be a better type of building that can hold heat better than a green house year round if insulated really well. You can also build it to exact wants and needs, instead of having to settle with set designs.

9. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Great minds think a like eh? :D

I just realised, a shed is a great place to keep herps. A shed for shedders. Get it? LOL

10. gapeachkatie

HAHAH... Uhhh... Yeah, a shed for shedders... yup... :-"

I just stick with great minds think alike... :p

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Kinda like me and the cats. It was a "package deal" for the hubby. no cats no relationship.

If you DID get a shed, they can be insulated to hold heat, even in the winter, and they can be MOVED once you buy a house.

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Shed is a good idea, greenhouses can be assembled, disassembled and reassembled and are not always a permanent structure though.

13. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

a shed would also keep other unwanted visitors (including people) from seeing the herps. which could be a good thing. animals wont see or try to get them and stress out the herps. people/children wont see them and try to break in to steal them.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Many sheds are pre-built and trucked in. They are no way permanent.

15. Brownman

Brownman Member

Scrounge up some better ladies, my friend. My wife is the one who comes home with the critters, I just build their homes. But speaking about building, if you have cold winters the cost of putting up a structure that can withstand them might put the whole thing out of reach. Good luck.

16. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I would just rent a place with an extra bedroom and keep the door closed...what the girl doesn't see won't freak her out! LOL