This Disappears When Logged In

Gravid CircleBack

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by EriksExotics, Apr 2, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Well no babies and it's been nearly six months since Post Ovi. I'm getting concerned even though she's been active but things I've noticed that concern me:
    Her tail is very thin. Thinner than when I first got her. She's also pushing a lot but hasn't damaged herself by doing so so that's good. Also seems hungry, honestly but I don't want to feed her because I don't want to cause complications

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Ever tried a warm water bath, supervised of course, to see if that loosens her up any? Not a deep tub but enough to really feel worm and wet.

Heard of it in passing but never seen any reviews or reports from a bath. Wet shavings I've seen and moss, but not the bath...

Just tossing the bath idea out there incase anyone has heard of it or experienced it.

3. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Any news yet? I just read this whole post and totally expected pics at the end. Hope she's ok.

Forgot to subscribe to this post I'm super curious now.

4. EriksExotics

Sorry no news :/ I've talked to the vet and I'm still finding time to get her in to make sure she's okay.

5. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Did you go off her shed or ovulation? I went off her shed and was right on the money. Hopefully everyone's ok...

6. EriksExotics

Both. Ovi was dec 21, POS was Jan 1st. Hasn't shed since or shown any swelling similar to ovi and i kept the male in until mid March

7. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Crazy. Are you taking her for an ultrasound? Let us know what the vets says.

8. EriksExotics

Just a general checkup but I'd prefer to have an ultrasound done in addition to her checkup

- - - Updated - - -

My friend's boa was just as late and the mom ended up having 38 babies that were about 30" long at birth!! Crazy stuff

9. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Wow that's a lot! Is your fem large? My 6yo Salmon is around 5' and had 17 no slugs. It was her first litter

10. EriksExotics

She got extremely huge but she's been sliming down. she's 3-4 yrs old, approx 7-8' long and also a virgin

11. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Is it time for a C-section?

12. EriksExotics

I wonder if they do those for snakes? :eek: That'd be interesting to see.

13. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Probably be more like an I-section for a snake though?

14. EriksExotics

Probably :p I'll keep everyone up to date and informed on Cupcake and what the vet has to say

- - - Updated - - -

Almost want to give that a try just to see if it helps. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to give her a shallow bath

15. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

So what happened?

16. EriksExotics

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone but cupcake ended up slugging out and the vet says she is healthy and will more than likely be ready to try again next season

17. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Glad to hear she is well and healthy :)

18. EriksExotics

Yeah I think it's because she's a virgin and because it was a huge litter of 49 slugs. Definitely don't think she was ready for 49 babies but I'm not really upset :) She's healthy which is what matters!

19. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not uncommon for first birthing to not go well. I think my first KSB litter was 2....

20. EriksExotics

That's why I'm not stressing over it. I would have been more worried if she did have 49 live! she's a good size but not big enough for such a large litter. Don't know how her health would look after having that many