This Disappears When Logged In

GRAPHIC eating pics (MANY)

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by furryscaly, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If anoles are the embodiment of all that is sacred to you, look away now. If not, please enjoy these pics of Ivy snacking on an unfortunate brown anole. I've got nothing against anoles, I've had them as pets. This is just what she eats. Since sight is what she hunts by, the prey must be alive too, or at least until I get some tongs. Sorry, LOTS of pics.

Staring death in the face
    [​IMG]

The strike
    [​IMG]

Currently alive
    [​IMG]

See those two dark dots? Fang marks.
    [​IMG]

Less alive than before
    [​IMG]

Head first
    [​IMG]

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

continued...

Head first
    [​IMG]

Notice the color and pattern change
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

His new location
    [​IMG]

"Yummee"
    [​IMG]

Witnessess
    [​IMG]

I kinda felt bad for the anole, but such is life. Makes me glad I'm at the top of the foodchain.

3. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Great pics Matt!!

Do you know why they change colour? I would be interested to know.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Aww the poor anole!!!!!!! Hehe ah but as you said, life is life, nature is nature.. fascinating pics Matt, beautiful snake - I too would be interested to know about the colour change. :)

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Great pics Matt. I love your girls coloring and the pattern on her back...Ya know she has like an alien or something from another plant. Great pics.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

"Poison Ivy"! I like it.
    Fantastic photos, Matt. Sucha cool-looking snake. (Even slightly hot is too hot for me! Since my Talyn has bitten me 5 times, I'm happy she's not poisonous!!)
    I like how Ivy changes color when swallowing. How long does the color-change last?

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awsome

I love the color change! That is one awsome snake, he/she will not eat the stick bugs though? :D

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Great pics Matt, although all my anoles are now hiding someplace!!

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thanks. Yeah, the color change was pretty cool. Its actually partially due to her skin stretching to fit the anole. When they're just sitting they're usually green with a few white and black streaks, but as she expended to fit the anole it stretched, exposing more black and white under the green. And no, the stick insects are safe ;)

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

WHOA! that was cool! i've never seen snakes eat lizards before. thats a neat looking snake too. great pics. thanks for sharing. :D

11. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

thats awsome!
    do u have any other hots?

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Excellent pictures!!! :D

13. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Great pics Matt!

Fascinating that the skinny little snake can get that anole down the gullet.

Photojournalists watch out for the Herp Whisperer. LOL

14. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Ryan, a vine snake isn't really a "hot" in the same sense that a gaboon viper (for example - couldn't think of a better snake hehe) is a "hot" - the bite of a vine snake is not as potent as venomous snakes, and could really only cause some serious damage if you react to it, like the way someone may be allergic or react to a bee sting.

I wonder where I can get one??... although I'd probably never handle it myself,. I don't know if I'm allergic to bees :p

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, Rachel's right. Although venomous, they're still a colubrid, like garter snakes. If I were allergic it would swell up and burn and stuff, and if I was extremely sensitive there'd be a chance I'd die, but otherwise no serious effects would come of a bite.

Rachel made another excelent point though. I have Ts and the vine. Both are relatively harmless unless you're sensitive or allergic to the venom. Am I allergic? I have no idea. She's pretty easy to handle though.

I do have some pretty dangerous newts though. Since they're poisoness, not venomous, I don't know if they're "hots" or not. My rough-skinned newt has enoough tetrodotoxin to kill about 25,000 mice, or one of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.