This Disappears When Logged In

Grams Doesn't Want to Exercise, Just Indulges

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by kbiggica, Sep 20, 2013.

1. kbiggica

kbiggica Member

How long have you owned the animal? About two and a half years
    · What is the enclosure size? 75 gal. long aquarium
    · What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)? Sand/soil mixture, moss at one end
    · What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? 100w basking, uvb
    · What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured? 90 basking, 80 warm side, 75 cool side, temp gun
    · What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured? 70% avg
    · What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal? Romaine, kale, cherry tomatoes, carrots, hay(other veggies at times)
    · What exactly are you concerned about? She eats any and all grass when brought outside. There are no fertilizers in the grass, but she has no inclination to roam.

I recently got my sulcata, Grams, back from a roommate (she was raised together and when we moved separately, he took her, I found out she was housed terribly and got her back) and have began bringing her into the backyard to roam because she often paces in her enclosure. (We don't use any fertilizers etc. in the yard) I know that they can be voracious eaters, but when I bring her outside she doesn't roam at all until she has eaten all of the grass within reach and then just takes a few steps and begins eating again.

I guess my main questions would be that I've read that overeating can contribute to pyramiding, is this something I should be concerned about?
    I've mentioned that there are no pesticides/fertilizers used in my yard, could her chowing down on the grass pose any other potential hazards?
    Should I allow her time on concrete or something similar without plants to encourage roaming?
    Has any one else experienced this?

I'm not too concerned, more amused but figure it won't hurt to get some input from others. Thanks

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Its normal the grass is more filling and nutritious than what you are feeding so it is best to just let her eat. Once she has eaten enough she should roam.

Can you post pics of her and her container? It sounds like your set up is off.

Edit: since you live in florida which has a great climate year round could you build an outside enclosure to keep your tort in all year?

3. kbiggica

kbiggica Member

I'm at work currently without any pictures of her but will do my best to get on it. (I work doubles the next few days, so it may be a bit) I don't think she'll ever eat "enough" haha, she's never stopped before finishing all food given or being brought inside. As far as you saying the grass is more nutritious, do you recommend something else over what she currently gets?

I rent and am just glad my landlord allows all of the creatures I have, I would like to look into building her some sort of non-permanent daytime outdoor enclosure within the year but don't know how my landlord would take her tearing up the grass to burrow. I also live in northern Fl on the coast, I'm sure she could probably thermo-regulate with burrows but it does frequently get into the 30s and 40s here during the winter and as she is still relatively small I prefer to keep her in the house. I understand that she will eventually need to be housed outside with a shed-like area as well but will be moving before that is a necessity, she still has plenty of room in her tank for now.

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Is there a way to block off a room or something in the apartment or house you live in and let her roam? Like the little pens they have for little dogs? Baby gates to block off a room? You can get them cheaper on Craigslist or something. The bigger pens can be pricey new. But the pen inside would eliminate the grass. And maybe she would walk around. Picture below in website. I fund a super yard at Walmart as example

http://http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-Portable-Playard-and-Extension-Kit-Value-Bundle/14520403?srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=31-231586094-2&adid=1500000000000036337720&veh=cse

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The tomatoes and carrots are occasional treats only they don't need the veggies as much as other animalsZ you want high fiber low sugar diets. Grasses and dandelions are the absolute best to feed. Hay is good, mazuri pellets (cheap and nutritionally complete, just make sure to get them wet first), opuntia cactus, etc are all good.

My two sulcatas eat grass, wet mazuri mountains, and most of what they eat is bird seed that I grew in their cages and now grow in their yard.

And yes it's completely natural that all they do is eat. My little sulcata has eaten 20square feet of bird seed sprouts and still ate 4 cups of mazuri.

6. kbiggica

kbiggica Member

Thanks guys, she does roam a bit in the house but my mom has a demon indoor cat (and this is coming from someone who likes cats) I guess I'll just let her munch to her little heart's content.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I bet you will find that after awhile she will slow down and be more interested in other things but for now she feels she needs an inordinate amount of food.

8. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Can the demon cat be put away for a little bit of time while the tortoise is out?