This Disappears When Logged In

Grammostola Pulchripes - Chaco Golden Knee Care Sheet? Need Info!!!!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by nikkistorms, Oct 6, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Well I went to repticon today! AND I HELD A ROSE HAIR T. I cannot believe I did it! Will post pics soon.... Any way... I am seriously considering owning a T. I was suggested by Exotic Kingdom's to start with a Grammostola pulchripes - Chaco Golden Knee. They are supposed to have the best rep for being more docile than some of the others. I was suggested by someone else on here to go with a Rose Hair. I am pretty scared of getting bit... BUT, I was just as scared of getting tagged by snakes before I bought my Florida King Snake. And I held 2 other snakes there too. And pet an alligator... Gonna hold a scorpion tomorrow. SO... anyway. I would like a care sheet on the Chaco and a Rose hair to get as knowledgable about them as I can before I make my decision tomorrow.

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

That's great!! I would recommend a smaller beginner like a pink toe- though almost anything from the Grammostola are good beginners. Don't care what anyone says about Rosie's tempers they are great spiders. Grammostola pulchras are big sweeties and absolutely gorgeous and very active unlike the rose hair. The pulchripes can get moody and flick hairs like it ain't no ones business.

Anything bigger then a ten gallon is great as well. You'll need 2-3 inches of substrate. Cocofiber-soil ect is fine. A dish of water. Spiders do drink-more then people would think. Fresh water will keep them hydrated and healthy. They don't like most ground-though you should mist every once and a while-though a dish of water helps the humidity as well. A half a coconut works as a hide-though my rose hair's have never once used a hide but they should have one just in case. Then fake-or real sanitized logs-bark and other decorations are a must. No heating necessary unless your house is really cold. They don't need lighting either-I just use the ambient light in the room they are in. They are VERY low maintenance. Cleaning ect is easy and not often.

Terrestrial Tarantula Set-up & Caresheet: Chaco Golden Knee Caresheet (Grammostola Pulchripes)

oops that cut half my reply off sorry!!! A ten gallon makes a happy rosie-smaller is ok I suppose for a male but from what I learned is-Give them toys and they will play!! As most people refer to them as 'pet rocks' Ive learned over a few years is If you provide 'toys' logs, sticks, branches, bark and or rocks and fake plants they will let the spider explore more and be more active!

3. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Is it true females live longer?

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Yes. Males live 2-3 years 4 pushing it if they don't mate. Females live 15 years and 20 years is not heard of if you take excellent care of them!!

Also if your room is really cold a heater on the side or under the tank would be needed.

5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I have read several places where it is hard for breeders to sex a spiderling. How can I ensure I get a female if the breeder doesnt know yet? and would it be better to get a baby or an adult?

6. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

It's almost impossible to sex spiderlings especially if they are instars. Also if it's your first spider I would recommend an adult. The breeder should be able to sex adults just fine. It's not like a puppy where it's cute and fun when they're babies. There's a risk if you take them out-harder to find if they get away. Look for a healthy female with a nice fat butt-all of its legs are there and there's no ripples or wrong bends in them. If there's hair missing from her butt that's fine so don't worry about that! :) Spiders are great pets in excited for you, if you do choose to get one!!

7. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I already have 4 reptiles, a 5th coming on tuesday... and this would be my 6th animal. I have a lil plastic "keeper" I plan to keep her in until she gets bigger, if I get a baby... if I get an adult I will purchase the Exoterra Nano wide while I am there. I have a temp gun to keep temps and will get a flukers digital temp/humidity gauge soon. Maybe even while I am there... I purchased plenty of feeders for what I have already so I have food for this new girl too. Also, I have coconut fiber bedding left too. So I am prepared already.

8. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

You don't even have to get a expensive tank! See threw plastic bins work fine, they don't care anout that. It's easier to hold humidity as well and so much cheaper. But if you want a tank that's fine too. Also if it's plastic they can climb the sides and lids-my rose hairs love that. Don't forget a water dish and decorations. But other then that you look good! And a keeper is ok of you get a spiderling.

9. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Got a lil plastic cup, well more of a bowl for water dish til I get a bigger tank...
    Do you think its better to get a adult or spiderling?

10. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Adult. If you get something 1 1/2 to 2 inches legspan that would be ok. Though remember they are hard to sex

11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

The breeder just messaged me that he got a 3 inch female he will hold for me!!

12. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I am confused the species I have listed is the Chaco golden knee, which is Grammostola pulchripes right? But u said grammostola are good but Pulchripes are bad? Arent they the same thing...

13. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Oh sorry that was confusing! No Grammostola Is the Latin name. There's a groups of spiders from Grammastola. The gram. Pulchripes are the golden knees. The rose hairs are the gram. Rosea. The Brazilian black is the g. Pulchra. I ment any spider in the Grammostola family is a good starter-but the gold knees can be a handful at times. Did I clear that up?

14. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

OHHH yes I see! ok makes so much more sense. I am all new at this so forgive me for being completely ignorant. I am researching now. SO I haven't toppled on what makes up their names.
    Do you have spiders?

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I'm sorry I mixed you up with the genus and species! :p

Yes I've had them for 5 and a half years now! I used to breed GGBs and G.pulchras. As of now I just have a T.blondi and my faithful male G.rosea.

16. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Oh cool! I am hoping I made the right choice. I will hold her of course before I buy her. And If I don't like her I will get the rose hair instead.

17. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Well good luck but there's not much you can tell when buying a tarantula if you hold it once. But whatever your choice take LOTS of pictures for me!!! I'm starving for T picks around here ;)

18. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Yeah I know, but you can at least gain how flighty or aggressive right off they are. Like rosey they had, I watched 10 people including my hubby and I hold her. And she was as docile as can be... totally cool with being handled. Of course at a reptile show I am sure she gets handled ALOT!