This Disappears When Logged In

Gram Scale?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Turner, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I have looked everywhere in my city and could not for the life of me find a gram scale. So I hit the internet. After seeing that reptile specific gram scales are really expensive I decided to hold off on it (I really just want it for curiosity of knowing what the geckos and the snake weigh and their growth). Little did I know my husband ordered a gram scale the other day. When I saw the order details though it says its a 500 gram portable lcd jewelry scale (I don't think he fully reads the description when he buys things sometimes). Will it work as a reptile scale or not? I figured I'd cut out hunting it down online somewhere and just ask you guys.

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

It'll work until they break 500 grams, which I don't think the geckos will depending on species . Not sure what snakes you have but they may pass 500.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

It will work. You can put a plastic container on it, and then turn it on so it calibrates it and reads 0 grams. Then just drop your coen snake in

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A mail scale works fantastic and does grams, oz's and pounds I believe.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I got a kitchen scale that does kg. Works up to 75lbs. All you do is the conversion which is add a few 0's.

6. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I have 2 leos, viper gecko, and a corn snake. I figured the snake would be the one to outgrow it.

Okay awesome! I'll look into those others too.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I went to Walmart and looked at the kitchen scales. The one I have does g, kg, and lbs and works up to 30pounds. So it will work perfectly for almost all my animals (until the torts get big then I will have to figure something else out). It was also really cheap as I got it on sale.
    Any store with a kitchen section will have food scales.

8. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I didnt even think about that. Ill have to go check these out. I figured id have to get one that goes bigger because of the corn.

9. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Thanks now I want a scale. :) I will add it to my list. this week I am going to build my baby a wet hide and get some fake plants going also I was going to get a lock for his terrarium and now I need a scale....do they have baby snakey books? like they have for human hatchlings? I have dropped about a grand for my baby Oberyn so far and I am trying to work out my new budget so if anyone can think of anything else that I need, want or think might look shiny ? please let me know NOW......
    And my son said we had everything we needed except the snake...I am pretty sure he lied. :)

10. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Interesting! I never thought about weighing my animals, but now that I think about it, I'm adding it to my list if things I need to get!

It would be interesting to watch them grow, and it would be helpful in knowing if something is wrong by seeing weight loss!

Wow, thanks for the idea!

11. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

12. Turner

Turner Elite Member

HAHA!! I'm sorry :) I don't use a lock on my babies I use zilla screen clips for now. I over did it and bought 6. I have 2 on both long sides, and 1 on each short side. I had her out of the tank when I did this!!, but I picked up the whole tank while holding onto the screen and it didn't budge AT ALL so it's good haha. And to avoid any gaps I have both thermometers completely inside the tank, she uses the wire to climb up, and uses the display as a perch/leverage to try to escape and push the screen.

EDIT: I also liked that you used "human hatchlings" I saw that and busted out laughing haha.

You're welcome! I have OCD and for some reason with my reptiles it's manifested by complete tank and furniture cleanings once a week. When I clean their tanks and furniture I have to be the one to clean them, and they have to go back in the exact spot they were in when I took them out. I think my leo Raptor knows I have this issue because when I clean her tank and put her back the first thing she does is walk in the calcium and drag it everywhere, and then she starts pushing everything around, it drives me absolutely INSANE! I HAVE to know their sex, and measuring them (length) about once a month, and it has been driving me insane not knowing their weight.

That's a good looking one, and a great deal! Since I had questions about this, obviously I don't know for sure, but Rich did say something about a postal scale being a good choice. I don't know for sure, but I assume that either is or is along the lines of what he was talking about.

13. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

In his first home we had those little round thermometers and he would wind around them and then try to slide himself along the top of the cage looking for an escape. When he got his new house he used the gap behind the foam backing and the glass. he was trying to get out the slot holes in the terrarium used for cords!!! I did not think I needed a lock but once either myself or my son left his cage slightly open! I was so lucky that he was hiding to digest.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That scale does seem to be a great deal for $23!

A scale is a must have. I use it in order to adjust my torts diets. They'd is a formula you can use to determine if a tort of any size is underweight which I found out 2 of mine where once I weighed them so I dewormer them and increased the amount of Tiberius food they ate and altered a few other things and they have gained alot of weight and are now an ideal weight. If your animals hibernate its important to know their weight before hand so you can figure out if they will survive the sleep without depleting to much of their reserves.
    It can also help in determining if they have parasites or I any other health issues.

15. Turner

Turner Elite Member

So is my corn going to hibernate? Or is it something you can avoid?

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Keep your temps up and the corn will be just fine. Breeders lower their temps and brumate their snakes to encourage better breeding. Unless you are breeding them it is not necessary and in fact not all snakes will survive brumation.

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I just went and bought a mail scale. They weigh in grams and oz both. Mine goes to 5 pounds paid like 20 bucks for it