This Disappears When Logged In

got the babybrazilian Rainbow

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Disturbedcries87, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

hey i finally have him and he looks like a hatchling about 13 or 14 inches long and he doesnt strike his food i have to open her mouth and force feed to a certain point. any tips on how to wig her off of this?? and ive seen pictures of pervuian Rainbow Boa and the brazilian rainbow quite similiar and was wondering if i post a picture could someone tell the diff.? :confused: they said shes a brazilian but im second guessing. shes kind of skinny so thinking about feeding a hopper to her. i named her pandora.

2. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Congrats on the addition. I am surprised you posted about a new herp and DIDN'T include a pic! lol Try posting one. We have some people on the site that may be able to identify it for you.

4. Disturbedcries87

ok ill post tonight around 6pm im at work right now

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why are you forcefeeding? A new snake should be put in its enclosure and left completely alone for a week or so without even handling let alone trying to feed it in order to allow it to get used to the new home.
    Forcefeeding is always a last ditch effort and is very stressful as well as potentially injurious to the snake.

6. Disturbedcries87

if you read it merlin i havnt feed her the people i got it from said she wont eat on her own so i have to do that of course i havnt feed her yet shes in qaurtine for 1 more month i was there when she got feed and they said i had to she showed no interse in the food.

7. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

my brb is still like that when i feed.i just leave the mouse in the feeding bin for an hour or more,and he will take it.and here are a few pics of my brb Kaa so you can look at the markings hope i helped a little anyway.goo luck with your new pet

Attached Files:

8. Disturbedcries87

thanks skullman for the help i feed him 3 pinkie mice today i was thinkin of next week a hopper but ill try tht just leave her in the bin with the mouse to see if she takes it pandora actually looks alot like kaa but smaller version and an a bit darker.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Merlin on this one. Force feeding is a really stressful and potentially dangerous thing to do to a snake.
    Rainbows are generally excellent eaters. I would make sure the temps are warm enough and leave her for a while before trying again. A hopper mouse is probably a good size.
    Are you feeding F/T? Do NOT leave a live mouse alone with your snake EVER!!! Feeding live is dangerous especially with a reluctant-to-eat snake. You could also infest your snake with various internal parasites with live food. Freezing kills these parasites.
    If you are feeding frozen thawed, it's important to thaw the mouse completely and then heat it up really hot (100 degrees F) with a hair dryer: then offer it to your snake. (I recommend getting a temp gun from Radio Shack to check the temp of the food).
    If the snake doesn't eat it: you can refreeze it once; wait 5 days and try again. She'll eat when she's settled in and if her temps are warm and if she's hungry.
    You should also take her first poop into the vet and have it checked for parasites or other pathogens to make sure there isn't another reason why she's not eating.

I look forward to seeing pics of the baby. (Nice name too btw... VERY fitting for a rainbow, I think!) :)

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I don't think you are ready to be keeping this snake in all honesty - how are you keeping it? What did you decide to house it in? What are the temps? etc.

You actually did start by saying you are part- force-feeding. Just because a snake won't strike feed doesn't mean it won't feed on its own. Also, even if it didn't eat on its own immediately for you, it needs time to readjust to its new surroundings. And just because his previous owners showed you he had no interest in food doesn't mean he won't eat on his own either - some snakes need to be left alone over night before they will eat (though as Andrea said, never leave a snake alone with a live food item, only feed f/t).

This little snake is probably extremely stressed and disturbed. Stress can be a killer, and you need to do everything you can to provide a natural environment for him to settle into - you shouldn't handle or feed a new snake for at least a week, while it gets used to its new home. Before any handling is attempted you should then try feeding. Once it is feeding regularly, after a couple of weeks, you can then begin to handle and get it used to you.

Lastly, young rainbow boas all look very similar, and are more easily identified as they get older. It is doubtful that you have a Peruvian. Columbians and Brazilians are the most common rainbow boas in captivity - Brazilians grow up to look like the one Skullman posted, whereas Columbians lose their patterning and go very brown in colouration. This snake's previous owners should have been able to properly identify the snake. I am also wondering, at 13-14" long did the people you bought it from breed it? -it's very young to have been bought and then sold on so quickly. And if they did indeed breed it then you should have been able to see the parents and receive a proper identification.

I am a little concerned that this snake is going to become ill, particularly through stress. Sorry if this sounds very critical, but I am a great believer in knowing everything you can know about an animal before owning it. We are here to give you whatever help you need, as this snake needs you.

11. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

I agree with Rachel's every word. I have bred both Colombians and Brazilians for years and from your size description of 13 to 14" that is truly a neonate. I never left a young rainbowleave here before it had fed at least 5 times. At that point they were 14 to 15" and settling down from their normal neonate nippiness. :D

12. Disturbedcries87

i havnt force fed her.the people i got her from feed her 3 pinkies when i was there i personally havnt done it yet and only will when i have to. her temps are 84.2F warm side cool side is 75.3F and humid. is at 89-92%. as far as her inviroment its a 20 long tank plexiglass top with vents jungle mix bedding 2 hides a lil branch to climb and a water bowl. im takin in your advice and im going to wait till thursday next week leave a pinkie or a hopper with her in like a container from rubbermaid of course F/T and just leave her in there till she eats?? and leave her alone turn the light off??

13. Bitis Gabonica

Firstly your temps need increasing slightly to the high 80s F warm end. Also you need to bring that humidity down - 70% maximum. Rainbows need it humid but not that humid! 50-70% is ideal. Slightly higher when in shed.

What substrate do you have him/her on? If you are using paper towels or newspaper I would recommend just feeding it in its enclosure for the first time to get a better feeding response, as this is where s/he will feel secure. If not then yes feed in a separate tub, and if s/he doesn't feed overnight I would leave her in there overnight, we still have to do this with some of our snakes.

It shouldn't be a major worry if your snake doesn't eat straight away, he has just had a big move into a new home. But being the size he is, and knowing how stressed he must be from being force-fed previously, he should be eating in a couple of weeks, if not then I would be concerned and think about a vet visit, as he is still very small and young. I would try feeding what he is used to for now before you think about moving him onto larger food items.

14. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

I agree with Bitis...Smaug, my first snake and BRB, didn't eat for about 3 weeks after I got him. I left him totally alone for about a week or so then offered a 14 day old mouse. He didn't take it for two weeks until one day, he was perched up on my hand while I was reading and I happened to look over and he had his mouth over the knuckle of my thumb. Not hard and it wasn't a bit, he was just telling me "Okay, I'm hungry now!!" and there wasn't any stopping him after that. Though to differ from Bitis, I've heard rainbows prefer fuzzies and hoppers (10 to 20 day olds) over pinkies, same with jungle carpets. What time of day are you trying to feed him at? BRBs are pretty nocturnal, so when it is night and you take him out of his cage to his feeding tub, try turning off a few lights and letting him settle in the tub for a few minutes before offering the mouse. Good luck and avoid force feeding if it all possible!!

15. Disturbedcries87

ok thanks alot for the help i know its 60-70% humidity but it says for an adult and babys need more but ill drop it to around mid 70's and ill wait a week in a half and ill do the night feed in the container to see if it sparks a feeling to eat and ill leave it to pinkies till he starts eating regualery ok thanks alot

16. Bitis Gabonica

Yes babies need higher humidity but what you have it at is still far too high - 60-70%, 75-80% max for babies, 50-70% for adults.

Electrophile, I wasn't saying BRBs prefer pinkies, but if that is what this snake is used to then it is best to feed pinkies for the first few feeds before trying something different - to have been moved home is a big enough change for one go without changing food as well. In a couple of feeds try a rat pup or fluffs.

17. Amber

Amber Elite Member

Congrats, and good luck with the baby. Ya have some great advice here follow it and I'm sure your baby will thrive! :D

18. LdyDrgn

LdyDrgn Member

I could have sworn I posted a reply to this, but it seems to have disappeared...anyway, I had posted:

The larger size enclosure could be causing her some stress. We keep our babies in a shoebox rack with moist papertowels for substrate and they seem to do very well.

As far as telling the difference between Brazilian and Peruvian, it has to do with the markings. They are much thicker on the Peruvian. It used to be believed that Peruvians were red and Brazilians were orange, but this is not a good indicator since either locale is rather variable as far as color is concerned. Here are our Rainbows so you can see the difference (click on pic for full size):

Sub-adult male Brazilian:
    [​IMG]

Neonate female Brazilian:
    [​IMG]

Neonate male Peruvian:
    [​IMG]

See how it looks like the Peruvian's markings were done with a broad tip pen whereas the Brazilian's look more like a sharp tip pen did it? lol

19. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Beautiful pics LdyDrgn -- Are they your babies? (Do you have any Marajo Island Rainbows?)
    Spencer at www.rainbowboa.co.uk said that my Talyn is most likely a Marajo. He said it's really difficult to say for sure, but his gut feeling is that she is, and he offered me a male Marajo if I wanted to do a breeding exchange.

Your pics show the differences between Brazilians and Peruvians better than the pics on his site. I've read on other sites that the only way to say for sure is to count the scales, but I've never bothered to do that, and I can't find the source which said how many scales the different types should have!:rolleyes:

One thing about my girl is that she's huge: She's 6 years old, 2.10m (6.88ft) and weighs 2.4kg (5.2 lbs). She gets a medium-sized rat (100-120g) every 3 weeks, so I know she isn't over-fed.
    Another thing about her that I haven't seen on other rainbows is the dark stripe down her spine. It seems to be getting more and more pronounced. Also she has almost no yellow or gold scales that are usually in a crescent-shape on the sides of Brazilians and Peruvians.
    Here's a pic of our girl taken a while ago: I'm not sure what type she is exactly, but I'll settle for "BEAUTIFUL" Rainbow Boa ;) :D

[​IMG]

20. Disturbedcries87

babybrazilian Rainbow

wow thanks for the help guys yes from those pics i can make a 96% good guess shes a brazilian. today after work im going to work on lowering the humidity in her cage till its about mid 80s her temp is currently 83.4F. last time i check should be at 85 or 86 now though. i cant wait till thursday so i can see if she will eat god i hope she does. ill keep yall posted on everything that goes on for these couple of days intil she starts feeding.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.