This Disappears When Logged In

Got My First Spider

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by agama3000, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I got my first spider yesterday,it is a wolf spider,and I caught him in the act he molted in the container I brought him home in. My mother may not like him too much (she hates spiders so I can't take the top off or anything, or keep it low,where I can see it easily).I haven't been able to tell its sex yet because I can't take it out and it is never on the edge...Is it OK to feed him wild caught animals like crickets and worms or things like that...do they have a dangerous bite like rotting or something? (She is concerned before I can take the top off)...I don't know the species yet...it looks exactly like this though.
    [​IMG]

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

as a rule, all arachnids possess venom, though most will cause no more than minor irritation and pain if bitten, unless you're unfortunate enough to have an allergy to it.

In other words, if you get bit, it'll hurt, and may swell a small amount, but it shouldn't be a problems.

3. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

what species is it

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know which species yours is, but I got this info from the internet:
    "Venom toxicity - the bite of the Wolf Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Although non-aggressive, they bite freely if provoked and should be considered dangerous to humans. The bite may be very painful. First aid and medical attention should be sought as soon as possible, particularly as to children or the elderly. "
    Here is some care info I found too:
    "Feeding
    Wolf spiders have a fairly flexible abdomen that helps them to be able to eat a lot of food when it is present. They also can do fairly well without much food for a week or longer as they are able to decrease their metabolism when food is absent.

Wolf spiders will eat a large number of different kinds of prey. They can take a prey item their own size or smaller and do best with flies, crickets and other spiders. The exoskeleton on many beetles is too tough. In addition to taking live prey, wolf spiders will scavenge and get nourishment from carcasses. You can sometimes see a spider pick up a leg or a wing from a cricket. Different species may show different prey preferences or abilities to subdue prey. Also, species may differ in how much they are willing to scavenge. Some insects may have some defenses against spiders.

Potential prey items for wolf spiders include house flies and mosquitos, crickets, beetle larvae (meal worms) and other spiders. Wolf spiders often will capture a prey item by grabbing the prey and then the spider will flip over onto its back while holding the prey item in its fangs. This may be particularly useful when grabbing a cricket as the strong jumping legs of the cricket could puncture the spiders abdomen. A good class project would be to determine the range of prey items a particular spider could eat. Depending on the size of the prey, spiders can be offered food daily; they also do fine eating once or twice a week. A good rule of thumb for the size of the prey is to offer spiders prey their own size or smaller.

Cages
    Spiders need a container that is several times larger than they are. If you plan to keep them for longer than a few days, the cage should be big enough for the animal to easily walk around. Spiders must be kept in individual cages! (Otherwise you may end up with a single, fat, happy spider.) A variety of containers work well including glass jars, plastic boxes or plastic vials. "

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I have my spider in a 1 foot long cage and a 10 inch tall...can they eat wild caught prey,because they may carry some thing or may be more aggressive...[​IMG]

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any prey you bring in from outside runs the risk of being contaminated with pesticides or other chemicals. Even if YOU don't use them your neighbors may.

7. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

Tthey don't use them. The only person that may use them is the person across the street from my house but then a rabbit that lives over there is always eating his flowers and grass. It should effect him too right?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd just stick with domestic crickets and such. Just for safety's sake.

9. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

the local pet shop is shut down,so I have to take them from outside:(

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You seem to be working under the assumption that insects don't travel! Its not just your immediate neighbors tha you have to worry about but everybody in the area.

And a small dose of insecticide may not bother the rabbit but could be deadly to the spider.
    BIG body mass difference.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Unless you get bitten by a recluse or widow :p;)

12. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I know bugs will travel and I am a little worried about the chemicals in them because a lot of people in this area has some type of flower...and I know most insects follow the sun so they will travel a lot[​IMG]

13. Flint

Flint Elite Member

You can order a large quantity of crickets, roaches, flies, mealworms ect ect online. See if you can start a Blaptica Dubia colony? Then you never have to buy more even if you expand your collection to dozens of spiders. Not that your mother would ever allow that lol. :p

14. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

she won't do that because she thinks they die fast I tried to explain but she thinks the spider or the bugs are going to die to fast so she won't let me unless I catch them...its stupid to me but sh thinks its right

15. TheRoachRanch

TheRoachRanch Elite Member

How big is the one you found? Those guys are QUICK! I've been fly fishing for trout in NH most of my life and I can't tell you how many of those guys I've seen come off a rock and zip across the water w/ a hungry rainbow right on their tail.

Nice catch!

16. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

3" inches spanned out I founded him on a flower pot

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you should all move in together!! ( But count me out!!):D

18. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

they better not hate spiders

19. Flint

Flint Elite Member

HAHA you better not hate uncaged spiders! My dream is to have a Giant Golden Orb Weaver in my living room. My house will be insect free!

Anywho, I suggest you do some research, compile a few short excerpts, pictures, maybe get links to certain videos, and educate your mother! Sit her down, and explain to her why breeding tropical roaches is safe, economical, clean, odor-free, and infestation-proof (as compared to American roaches or crickets), and why you need a Captive Bred tarantula! Not a random wolf spider you found on a flower pot (No offense, I'm just making the point you should make to your mother). She's worried about things dying too quick? Show her the research that shows Blaptica Dubia taking several months just to reach adulthood! Or the female tarantula species that live over 20 years! At the very least, show her that CB will almost certainly outlive anything WC. There's no telling what's already wrong with that spider.

If she is plain afraid, there is little logic involved in fear of "creepy crawlies" so there's not much to be done. But if it's ignorance about the longevity and "worthwhile" aspect of these pets, THAT is something to work on and can be fixed.

Besides, I think one of the biggest problems parents have with kids getting pets (at least with my parents) is they think the kid isn't dedicated. And will dump the pet on the parent when the kid loses interest. Taking the time to do this research and present it will show her your dedication.

It worked on my parents; once. lol, Kind of a one-hit-wonder. You can't pull this card all the time, so plan it carefully.

Good Luck!

ps. as for the topic of this post (LOL) it seems reasonable to me to feed the spider insects from the same area you found the spider. (Covers head to block projectiles from everyone that knows wild caught prey is bad). Its not ideal, but it would be plausible to me that if the spider has survived there, it is already accustomed to whatever chemicals are in the area, or more likely it has just been lucky and not encountered any chemicals. If you absolutely CAN'T get store feeders, I would go with whatever you find near where you found the spider.

Then again, I would really just release the spider where I found it, and try to sell my mom on a CB tarantula and a roach colony.

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

9 Out of 10 kids loose interest. You must not forget that.

I agree 100% with your mother, you have no idea how old this spider is nor do you know if it is decease free. Not to mention the stress that you are putting the poor spider through after it was very happy living free.

The only time removing a living creature from the wild can be justified is when it has reached the endangered species list and breeding projects should be started. Or when the animal is injured or in poor health and you can nurture it back and release it. Or when the animal is studied and released.

The reason why animals reach the endangered species list in the first place is because of human destruction and by removing a happy animal from the wild you just contribute to this destruction!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.