This Disappears When Logged In

Got Bit by Mangrove Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by David McConley, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hey everyone- well it has been around 9-10 hours since the tagging, and I am feeling fine. No adverse effects, just the few places where his teeth caught hold and punctured my hand. Actually looks pretty neat(but then I am a little strange). I should add that this was TOTALLY my fault as I came at him from the front with my hand and I think I spooked him. I continued to hold him after the bite and he calmed right down and let me hold him until I finished with his cage.

I appreciate everyone's concern for my well being and I am glad to say I came out on top. I did take some pictures and am about to take a couple more to show the small(tiny) punctures in my hand. I will ask my wife if she will post them for me tomorrow since my stupid desk top computer is 10 years old and I can't post pics with it. Oh well, the money I save using this old dinosaur will allow me to buy another snake in the future. Maybe a female Mangrove snake for my big bad boy.

2. Songlian

Songlian Active Member

Wow, David! Bit by (even if mildly) venomous snake! And like 20 bee stings! So I should never use your pain threshold as reference. :D

Seriously now, I'm glad you're ok. And I really admire the way you were handling the situation - rationalising why this happened, further handling the snake, etc, etc.

I'm not sure I want to see the pics you can't load anyways. :p

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I want to see them David!!! I really do, as close up as you like, please!! :D:p
    P.S. If you DO get another, there`s TWICE the chance of the "Strike and Hit" shot!!! :p:D (Great idea!!)

4. David McConley

Murrindindi- My wife forgot to take the camera to work with her today, but as soon as I can I will get the pics up-hopefully tonight when we get home from church. You may get your chance soon enough to possibly see a repeat performance as I looked in his cage today and I have to clean it again and change his water out again also. I'll keep you posted.

Songlian- I think there was a miscommunication on my part. When I said it felt like the 20 bee stings- what I meant was it felt like 1(one) bee sting spread out over 20 places on my hand. It really was a very painless bite and I did not even recieve any swelling from it.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, it`s just as I thought David: looking for sympathy! :p

6. David McConley

LOL,yep that's me alright. Just a big old sympathy hunting teddy bear. Funny thing is- my wife came home from work yesterday and looked at it and said "yeah, it got you alright". She is a Nurse and always enjoys looking at the different wounds I get from the snakes. She is the one who took the tooth out of my hand when the big burm tagged me.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I hope you didn`t just marry her because she would "come in useful" so to speak!! ( Or has she already worked that out!!) :D

8. David McConley

No, I didn't marry her because she would be useful in that respect,LOL. We were married for 18 years before I got my first snake, and she has been a nurse for about 19 years, so it just happened that way. I just got lucky in the marriage lottery and picked a wife who not only allows me to keep snakes, but also helps me take care of my little boo-boos.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You`re a very lucky man, David!! ( so`s the wife, I mean how many husbands would allow their wives to look after them AND their menagerie!! ( Lucky girl!!) :eek::D

10. David McConley

True, so very true. We are both very lucky-who else would put up with us?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s nice that we can share a joke as well as talk seriously, I think it`s good to make people smile.....

12. David McConley

I totally agree with you there my friend. I really enjoy a little bit of banter along with serious conversation, it helps bring people closer and helps relieve stress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.