This Disappears When Logged In

Got Bit by Mangrove Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by David McConley, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Well, it was bound to happen- I was cleaning out the mangrove snake enclosure and I put my hand too close to his face. He did the only reasonable thing he could do- he bit me. I will try to put the pics up tonight. It didn't really hurt and bled only a little bit. I don't think I was envenomated (mildly venomous/rear fanged). I guess time will tell though,if so I expect it to only be a bit irritating though as they have to really chew the venom into their prey/victim. More info as it comes along.

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Darn that sucks, luckily it wasn't a more venomous snake, do you keep any highly venomous snakes, if so, do you have anti venon at home?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s what can happen at any time, David, you`re very lucky it was the mangrove, even though as you say, it would really need to chew on you, and even then, not usually too serious, but if you took a "hit" from the big burmese, even without venom, it could be a serious bite....I hope you`re o.k.? ( I imagine you feel stupid for letting it happen!)

4. David McConley

Anthony14- No I do not keep any highly venomous snakes at my home nor do I plan on keeping any. I do not keep antivenin either because the mangrove is only very mildly venomous and at worst I think it would only swell and have a bit of pain.

Murrindindi- I have been tagged by the big burm. He really only bit and released so it drew blood and left a couple of teeth in my hand but other than that-no worries. I really don't feel all that stupid about being tagged by the mangrove as it just comes with the territory (not a matter of if you get bit, but a matter of when). I actually had been curious about the effects of a mangrove bite anyway, so now I know. So far I have had no problems (swelling, pain etc.) and I don't think I will have any other issues with the bite. At least I know now that if I do get bitten by him again I won't die from pain.

So far I have been bitten by each of the types of snake I keep (burm, colombian red tail, ball python, white lip python, mangrove, corn) except for the blood python and to date the worst was the large boa constrictor- it hurt like a son of a gun and bled like crazy.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m glad you`re o..k. David, can I just ask: were you wearing the camera `round your neck, and did you get the "strike and hit" shot??

6. David McConley

No (striking head in frustration-again), I was too busy trying to clean his enclosure. After I washed my hands, I took 2 pictures though, but it really didn't make too much of a photo as it quit bleeding so quickly. I am continually looking for the perfect photo opportunity though.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Excuses, excuses, David, it simply isn`t good enough! ;)

8. David McConley

I know, I know. I am just a terrible person and a lousy picture taker also,LOL!! I will try to do better, I promise.

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Did you see the photo evidence of legalcmf's bites? Those were some serious bites (and she can prove it;)). Glad it wasn't too bad for you!

10. David McConley

Were those the ones where she got bit in the face? If so, I did see them and no mine was no where near as serious as that one was. I have been very lucky as far as bites go, I have only been bitten on the hands...so far. I actually can see where the teeth got me but like I said very little blood and apparently no side effects from the "venom" LOL.

11. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

Ouch,did It hurt? Doubt if they hardly hurt I assume.

12. David McConley

Not as much as you might think. It felt a little like a bee sting. Only about 20 different ones at the same time.

13. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad you're OK.
    The worst bite I got was from my big rainbow boa. She could really pack a punch! Not only the bite, but the sheer force of the jaws usually left me blue and swollen for some time. She tagged me on the ear once... OH MAN that hurt!!! -- and worse: it was witnessed by ALL my neighbors who came to see the new snake!
    I've been bit by most of the species of snakes I've owned, except for the ball python. --- He's a sweetie. :)

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Glad you got your curiosity taken care of :) Oh and totally glad your okey dokey too!! :) I've only been bitten twice by reptiles, the last one, rather last two came from a 4ft Nile monitor, and the first from my itty bitty knigsnake

15. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

sounds painful

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The 4ft. monitor could do serious damage if he got a good hold, possibly break bones in the fingers! Not a problem with their poison,though.....too weak.

17. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I hate bee stings so, yeah, it sounds painfull to me to. Glad you're ok.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have read than mangrove venom is weak, usually resulting in moderate swelling, with very few hospitalizations, and no deaths attributed to the snake. and yes, when working with animals, getting bit is an occupational hazard. Goes with the job description. If it has a mouth... Though as keepers, we typically do our best to avoid it, inevitably, an animal will be in just the right mood... and then you get it.

19. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

last week he broke through his outdoor enclosure and we happened to find him on our way back from our walk, my daughter jumped in the ditch and grabbed him and swung him up to me, I mis-judged where I was grabbing him behind the head and he swung around and tagged me, then as I wrestled him to the ground, getting my butt totally kicked, I averted my attention to tell the kids to grab me his travel bag, and he shook me off and grabbed my arm again, thankfully he didn't hang on for long and didn't try to shake me or I would have had some seriuos injuries, fortunately, all I received were scratches and tooth punctures. He was totally out of his element, was on the lam and ticked at being caught, we kissed and made up yesterday ;)

20. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

Glad you're alright:), I can say from personal experience that 20 bee stings simultaneously is quite painful (stupid swing set), but as far as my snake goes I have been lucky enough to not get bit (knock on wood), but my dad got tagged by his ball python quite a few times. I was also wondering about the effects of the mangrove venom, glad you satisfied my curiosity.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.