This Disappears When Logged In

Got a New Baby Rosy Boa!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by troymclure, May 16, 2013.

1. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

my fiance bought a baby rosy boa from her work. i think female due to the tail length.

its a calm little gal(8" or so). for now we have him on reptibark(mulch)(for now) in a 20 long, with a simple day bulb 18" off the substrate.

she has a few hides(really likes the cholla wood branch i put in there), and the temp is 82(via infrared thermometer) on the hot side, cool is close to ambient(mid 70's).

she just ate a pinkie(f/t) last night, snatched it right out of the tongs lol, so we have a water dish in there for a few days.

i read the care sheet on here, pretty basic stuff. any body have any further tips, techniques, advise?

ill post up some pics after she has digested for a few days.

2. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

Attached Files:

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Congrats! They are great snakes. You need to up your warm side temps by 10 degrees F.

4. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

i bumped up a bit. she is 18g and approx 9" long.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

very nice little addition!

6. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

ive found that she likes crickets. lol

we had a few get loose from another enclosure, and they ended up getting tossed in hers. as soon as they walked past her she would grab them. it was amusing to watch her try constricting them. lol

7. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

feeding question: how often? she digests the pinkie in like a day and half and is real active like she is hunting right after.

8. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

1 month update. she is 22g, 12".

eats a pinkie every tuesday and every other friday.

9. rimridge

rimridge Well-Known Member

Nice looking Rosy you have.
    I would say you are under feeding it a little. You are feeding often enough,but the feeder sizes should be larger. A new born pinkys should be ok for the first few meals and then fuzzy mice. At 12 inches she should be on hoppers. Rosy boas can eat larger prey than you might expect. My rosy boas about the same size are feeding on hoppers to small adult mice

10. rimridge

Just remembered this,.
    I was haveing problems with a new born getting started on feeding. So one evening I had 5 extra live pinkys so I put the baby Rosy in a small margerine contianer and the 5 pinkys, over night and the next morning I opened it and they were all gone. First meal and 5 pinky mice.

11. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

well her body is thick, but her tail is skinny. lol

12. rimridge

lol,, Well that is "par for the course" but you should still move it up to hoppers

13. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

ok. cool. thanks.