This Disappears When Logged In

Gopher kept in rack?

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Knox, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I realize this is not the most poplular section of the board, but I have a question.

Can an adult Gopher/Bull be kept in a large sweaterbox rack? I am falling in love with the Pituophis snakes, and having sold my custom enclosure I am thinking of building a rack.

Are these guys too active to be confined like this? If so, I will build my rack anyway and just invest in a 40 or 55 Gallon Aquarium.

Thanks in advance...

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

As far as i'm concerned bigger is always better....the Bulls that i run into in the wild are generally pretty active, but that's pretty well due to the "fight or flight" response.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Bulls are a pretty active snake. And they get pretty big for a native species.
    They generally end up in a 55 gal tank.

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thank you, guys! That's why I asked. I will build a rack for my Kings and Corns and have a display tank for my Gopher/Bull, whichever I get. Pits are the one native Colubrid species I never had an interest in until recently. Now, the Great Basin Gopher is my "Current" favorite snake.

Of course, he should do well in the rack for the first few years.

It is never too early to start planning :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.