This Disappears When Logged In

Goodbye Little Fishie! :(

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by purplemuffin, Apr 16, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Poor little Red Beard, he had such a rough start to life. He just tuckered out by the end. He was a fighter, for sure, and I'm amazed he survived all the ordeals he went through before he came home to us, let alone the other drama that happened afterwards(Guest at house knocked over his fish tank and didn't tell anyone! Who knows how long he was on the ground!) but he still was with us for a good while, considering he was at least two when we got him.

Betta fish live such short lives! I'll miss your spunk, Red Beard!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So to hear about your little guy! Sounds like he was a fighter for sure!

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Sorry for your loss. I can't believe someone would knock his tank out without telling you.

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Sorry for your loss. I have two myself.

5. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh, I've had many bettas through the years. They are sweet little fighters. I really can't understand how someone could knock over a tank and not tell anyone! I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Bettas are neat and interesting fish to have.

7. purplemuffin

Yeah, he had the funniest little personality! I will really miss the guy. We actually got him under very unfortunate circumstances-- the highschool my boyfriend's brother goes to likes to do a school project where you have to make a working ecosystem for a month--in something one gallon or smaller. Can be any animal that fits. It was ****, I was so angry. People bought leopard geckos, frogs, fish, spiders, house geckos, anoles, UGH. I hate this sort of assignment, unfortunately a LOT of schools do it, but usually just with fish. Anyway, Nathan and I tried to put a stop to it, complained to the higherups(as well as the parents who donate to the school) but no one cared!

The animals were all left out in the open in a cold room, we did what we could, Ryan would feed the fish and change the water he could when the teacher was out, we tried to help the other herps in the room. But it didn't do much good, especially since none of the kids knew what they were doing with the animals. Leopard geckos were in frog type habitats, in fact one shared a habitat with a firebelly toad. By the end of the assignment, only two animals lived, a spider and Red Beard.

The teacher did end up getting fired soon after that though as he failed all the students whose animals died--despite not teaching them how to take care of them at all! I think that paired with our complaints finally made the parents mad.

So I'm still amazed how long he lived after that! He was a full grown adult, already even looking a little elderly at the time! I am very glad to have gotten to take care of the little guy, and I just wish I could have saved the rest. :(

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That's crazy that a school would do that! Glad that teacher is gone, sad that the animals had to have such an awful experience.

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh, that is crazy and horrible :( Poor animals! At least Red Beard ended up in a good home with you.

10. purplemuffin

Sadly that type of thing is ridiculously common in highschools and middle schools. I first heard about it on a betta fish forum, lots of people would join every month because their school was setting up a similar project. Usually it's done better, but it never really works. You just can't make a working ecosystem for a fish in such a small space, it doesn't work! Shrimp can last a little longer but would need their water changed too. It was a very sad time!

Poor Nathan is just heartbroken over red beard, that was his little warrior! I think we are going to take a break from fish(except for Dionysus) for a while.

11. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

OMG...reading about teachers like this makes me just SICK!!!!!! To think that anyone would encourage students to create an "ecosystem" that obviously has the HIGH potential of KILLING the inhabitants.

Just for the record:
    I can honestly say that I'm VERY HAPPY to know that our middle school has NEVER done anything like this. After reading this, I also asked my daughter if she has heard of anyone at her High School doing anything like that and she assures me they haven't.

I'm very glad you reported that person, but, in all honesty I would seriously suggest that you follow-up with the school. I say this, because if the administrator allowed that to happen in the first place, then it sounds to me like the Board of Education for that county needs to re-write their academic guidelines.

12. gapeachkatie

My school did projects similar to this, but it was always one ecosystem in a minimum of a 55 gallon tank. The year that my class did that project, it was with a 2ft ball python for a month in a hundred gallon tank. The primary aspect of the tank was to research the natural environment and then build the proper environment for her. We were broken up into groups with different responsibilities such as:
    One group did the research and cross checked information.
    One group gathered the supplies needed to create the habitat.
    One group sanitized the supplies gathered. (Volunteers brought gloves, buckets, bleach, and hospital mask.)
    One group built up the tank and set up the lighting.
    The total time it took to complete the project was two months and it was a fun and very good project to participate in. :)

13. purplemuffin

You are very lucky! I usually see it in 1 gallon bowls or even those two litre coke bottles. Which maybe would work if it was just for plants, but they just -had- to add animals into the mix!

We've actually been trying to follow up with the school district the school was originally from--It's a charter school but it follows most of what the district does, and apparently that project is leftover from the district.

14. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

thats so horrible of them! I to had a beta fish for five years, but on my birthday someone put all the food in the bowl and it ate it all and died :(

15. gapeachkatie

I felt very lucky to do the form of the project my school participated in. Another district in the state does the singular student project in coke bottles and small half gallon plastic containers, but they don't even put live animals in it, just plants and maybe a plastic lizard or frog for decoration or to define the type of habitat it is.

I hope that school finds a better way to do the project, or just toss it all together.

16. reptilequeen

reptilequeen Member

I love Bettas. I used to have a betta named Bubba and he would swim up and let me pet him!!!!

17. justor

justor Elite Member

I used to have a betta fish named Carl. He ended up living almost 5 years. One time I tried putting a couple neon tetras in his 5 gallon tank... ended up putting them in another fishbowl about 30 seconds later after Carl immediately killed one.

18. purplemuffin

yeah, betta fish don't always get along with others :) :) If you are introducing tank mates I've found it's best to take the betta out for a while(temporary tank) and then introduce them at the same time/other fish first.

Dionysus would never get along with other fish! If I'm fixing something in the tank he bites my hand!! :D

19. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

That is so sad about how Red Beard got his start but I am sure he was happy with you Kat. In My school we had a similar project but it was a totally enclosed 5 gallon terrarium that watered itself, we were not asked to add animals just plants.