This Disappears When Logged In

Goodbye Apep Beauty Snake

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Uamenti09, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Uamenti09

Uamenti09 Elite Member

I haven't been the right owner for a snake with such attitude and size..first snake. I'm sending this 6-7ft tai beauty from Oregon to North Carolina to David Mcconley. I'm very happy he'll be in the best care. Though I did make a very nice biiig cage with two trees to climb a big hide box I feel like David could do even better for proper care. thanks david! be expecting him tomorrow. You can change his nake to Because i'm going to name my next snake same thing. I'm contaplating on a brazilian rainbow or redtail boa, and hints on differences between the two?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sometimes we have to make those choices for the best interest of both keeper and kept.
    If it must be than I believe David is a good choice!

For a beginner the common boa would be the better choice. Most "redtails" you will see, are not.
    They are labelled Columbian redtails, which is different than the true redtail.
    The rainbows are a bit tempermental and more bitey and are fussier about their humidity.
    Both my common boas are sweethearts.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Uamenti09- Thank you so much for the trust you have bestowed on to me. I will do me absolute best to make him happy and healthy for a good long time. I did receive him at 9:30 EST this morning and he is in pretty good shape. Alert and active even curious about his new surroundings. My hope is, he will not be the stressful, flighty type that almost all Asian Beauty snakes are known for and that I can use him in my educational work. Once again, thank you for entrusting his care to me, I won't let you down and I will send you photos and post them on here.

Merlin-THANKS LOADS for the vote of confidence. This will be a first for me (Asain rat snake) though I do have the Phillipine Mangrove- from what I have read the care is BASICALLY the same. Arborial and loves privacy ( I hope that is not the case for the reason stated above). If this turns out to be the case, I will respect him and he will be a private snake in my home. I will be moving him to a permanent cage after his quarantine is up.

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Just a word on the rainbows, Flint is a rainbow boa and he was my first snake. Humidity is of course the biggest issue, if you cant keep it above 85% at the minimum, expect Respiratory Infections.

Yes I have heard from just about everywhere that rainbows are rather bitey as babies, and I did get nipped by one in a store that I was visiting. But Flint has never nipped, not even hissed. Even when I had to administer oral medicine for his RI I never heard a hiss or saw a S-bend in the neck for a strike. So I'm just giving testament to the fact that not all individuals adhere to species standards :)

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

It sounds like you made the right decision. David does know his snakes. And where are the pictures David? You've had him for a couple hours now :p

6. Uamenti09

Uamenti09 Elite Member

The Columbian redtail boa is the easy one right? and theres a different species of snake called redtail?

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

There is a true redtail (BCC right? Boa constrictor constrictor) and there are regular common boas(BCI)--which also had the red tail, though they are not as girth-y and there are a few other physical differences as well. The columbian 'redtails' are common boas with a fancy nickname, there are other species of regular boas just from different places, some seem to be different sizes. Colombian seems to be the most common of the common I've found though!

8. David McConley

Orca, I promise- I will post some pictures tonight. I just have to wait until my wife gets home so she can take them. I am also waiting to put him in his temporary tank until the wife gets home (sort of a family undertaking, if you will). He is without a doubt very pretty and he will be even more beautiful once he sheds (he is in blue right now).

Uamenti09- you may want to get a Suriname Red-tail they are my all-time favorites as far as coloring. Absolutely gorgeous dark red (almost maroon) tail and spotless patterns. You would not be disappointed with one of those lovlies! Pictures are MANDATORY!!!!!!!

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Look forward to the pictures!

10. David McConley

Oooops, sorry everyone! I dropped the ball on the photos. I have them but I still need to post them-that will be done as soon as possible. I have been very busy the past week taking care of my nearly invalid mother (not an excuse-just letting everyone know).

Uamenti09- he is doing fine right now settling into his temporary home. I am waiting for him to shed. While handling him for the pictures, he hissed and did a couple of mock strikes--he's so CUTE! As soon as I do some artwork for a friend of mine, my friend is going to make me a custom cage that I am going to design-just for my new best buddy-Xander, I have decided to stay with the Buffy the Vampire Slayer name theme for my rat snakes. I have Buffy, Angel, Giles, and Willow so the beauty snake will be Xander!

11. Orca

Orca Elite Member

You are forgiven this one time ;)