This Disappears When Logged In

Good Water Dish For Arboreal Snake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My JCP has a vertical arboreal cage, his water dish used to be on the ground, and he never went to the ground except to tip it over. Big mess, since he has a dirt substrate down there. I got rather tired of all the mud, because it seemed to be a nightly affair for him. I had been searching for alternatives for some time, until I came across this at a local Family Farm and Home store:

Savic Crock Food And Water Bowl, 1200 Ml: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I put it up near his basking spot, about 4 feet from the floor of his cage. The wall of the cage is real wood (not particle) and this tightens down nicely. The bowl does not just pop out, it has to be screwed into a locking position, which is nice. The bracket it sits on attaches easily, and if you tighten it enough, it will not budge, no matter what your snake does to it. Even with jacket wrapping himself around it, he has not managed to dislodge the bowl in any way. And he is around 6-7 feet in length!

He does drink from it, so I know he has no problems finding it.

I also have no more mud in the bottom of his cage, either.

Though I would share for anyone else with arboreal snakes that might want to put some water up high for them.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is an awesome idea Jen! We have one of those in our Conures enclosure that we use as a bird bath.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I had seen some of the metal ones with a simple wire to hold them in place, but after having seen them in use before, I wanted to hold out for something a little sturdier, as the metal ones were easier to tip/dislodge.

This one fit the bill perfectly.

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

It looks nice. My JCP hasn't had a problem with knocking over the water dish, but I like the idea just because of how it looks.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Haven't had an issue with the GTPs knocking their dishes over, but I'll have to keep this in mind. I have some similar dishes in one of my bird cages.