This Disappears When Logged In

Good Turtle for 11 Yr Old??

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 15, 2011.

1. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

lol so very, very true. It would actually be at my grandmother's house because she spends most of her time there. My grandmother hates everything, even humans! But, she also agrees that my sister is very responsible & would like to see how she can apply herself to a pet. I'm going to visit them around New Years as long as everything's going right with my car, maybe I'll talk her into holding off a little bit longer until we can really sit down & figure something out.

But, I am definitely voting NO for the turtle, lol.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm glad you decided no on the turtle. I do think a Leo would be a great place to start. Be sure, since it will be at Grandma's, she is OK with the diet of a gecko (BUGS!)

Have our care sheet!
    Leopard Gecko Care Guide (Eublepharis macularius)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Agree, a leo is much better for an 11 year old!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Another draw back to the turtle idea, just to give you ammunition,...
    Is that turtles are little pooping monsters. they are high maintainance and if not kept really on top of the tank will quickly smell like a sewer in high summer!

5. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Yes, definitely planned on doing that. We'll see how it goes.

Ahaha! Perfect! She won't even throw away a stinky diaper, let alone actually have to pick up poop! Thanks, Merlin!

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

If she's not okay with bugs, crested geckos are another option... :D

7. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

You, my friend, are awesome :) So far based from what I've read on the caresheet, it seems a crested gecko may be the route we take.

Does anyone have any problems with the CGD by T-rex? Do you think occasional crickets are necessary? & if so, how often do you offer them?

8. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I've always been told Repashy is the absolute best crested gecko whole diet. Crickets aren't needed with Repashy but are sometimes offered to provide exercise and simulation through hunting.

9. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

The T-Rex brand is an older version of Repashy CGD so while it's better than trying to make your own food, it's not as good as you can get with the Repashy label. It's also cheaper in the long run to use it. See if a pet shop can order it for you or buy it online. Also, a local breeder can probably hook you up with some that can last a looong time with just one gecko.

Occasional crickets are great, but as stated not necessary. Some adults don't even like them and just stick to the CGD.

10. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Thanks BB & Spyral :)