This Disappears When Logged In

Good Thermometers?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by CentriRitanni, Jun 27, 2012.

1. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Because I'm awesomely clumsy and sleep deprived, I managed to break my Weber probe thermometer tonight while working on my 30 gallon (looking at getting some curly tails in the not too distant future). Anyway, it was at least 6 years old, and my infrared is about 4 years old (and can be off by as much as 7F, I discovered); I'm looking at just getting new thermometers period, though obviously I haven't shopped for one in a while. Any particular recommendations?

I perused the reviews on Amazon, Home Depot, and Lowes, and pretty much came up with all of the thermometers have half "BEST THING EVER!" and half "broke the second time I used it". I figured I'd ask the people who use it for the same thing I'm looking to get a new one for. :) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I got a great one at walmart and ended up going back to buy 4 of them. It is called "acurite" and was $11 I think. It is a small standing thermometer with humidity gauge and a long probe for "outdoor temps." I put the standing thermometer on the cold end of my tank, and run the probe accross the tank to the substrate underneath or in the shade near my basking sites. I am happy with them.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

4. CentriRitanni

Haha, I like that on the gun it says "$55 can't be beat"... "Price: $35"

Thanks for the tips guys. I had seen some suggestions for the Accu Rite in the hygrometer thread, and was leaning that way, but I wanted some feedback and a recommendation for a gun.

5. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

I just bought a Pittsburgh brand one from Harbor Freight and so far it works fine. It was only $5.99 and has a lifetime warranty.. so it should be ok lol.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

$55 is the suggested retail price put on by the manufacturer.

Ever go car shopping and look at the MSRP(Manufacturer"s Suggested Retail Price)?
    NOBODY pays that for a car.

7. CentriRitanni

I know, I just thought it was funny merely because they usually don't leave the pitch for the suggested retail price in, they usually say something like, "Suggested retail price is $55, but for YOU! Only $35." etc. Sort of like the the TV sales pitchers, "But wait! There's more! I'll slash the price and double the supply if you call in the next .76 seconds!"

8. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I also use the acurites.

10. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Do you recommend the exo terra one? I am ordering 4 total and would like to find out which to get. I can get either they are both available... The only difference I can tell is the one by acu rite measures two locations, which I would think would be ideal for hot and cold sides. I use a temp gun for my temps anyway so this isnt that big of a deal. hmmm Decisions decisions, which do u think?

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I have both accurite and a temp gun mld lists. However I did not get my temp gun from pro exotics. I paid 20.00 for mine at a reptile show here in Ohio.

13. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity & Temperature Controller this one looks awesome. very expensive but it looks like it does what I would have 4 different devices for?? hmm.

14. CentriRitanni

You can get an Acurite Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with Humidity gauge from Walmart for $13. The problem with the all-in-one is if any part of it breaks, the whole thing is useless. Personally, I prefer thermostats and hygrostats to be separate so that you can cross check them.

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

love my accurites. They survive all the humidity and misting from the frogs.

16. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Just picked up 3 acu rite from walmart! I'll let y'all know how that goes lol!!

17. Genko

Genko Elite Member

I got an Acurite, and being me, did something (probably) stupid. I took off the sticky pad on the probe. Have I completely messed it up?

Genko

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No the sticky pad is just for attaching it to something.

19. Genko

Genko Elite Member

Thanks Merlin! You're a peach. I am very relieved. :)

Genko

20. justor

justor Elite Member

I too am a fan of accu rite thermometers, but mine didn't hold up to being misted. It is still accurate, but the screen is very difficult to read now. Just don't spray them directly lol. Common sense, I know, but it didn't occur to me at the time.