This Disappears When Logged In

Good Terrarium Plants

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Arikun, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

What are good terrarium plants, or plants in general that won't harm tree frogs? I know about the Pothos, anything else?

2. jclee

jclee Active Member

The good news is that, since treefrogs don't ingest plants, you only really have to worry about plants that excrete toxins. If you smell something very bitter when a leaf/stem is broken, I would stay away from it. There are lists of toxic plants out there, but again, some of these might be safe when enclosed with a species that is not herbivorous. Melissa Kaplan has a database of safe/toxic plants here: Melissa Kaplan's Plants For Herps Resources

I am notorious for forgetting plants' names, so I'm sure someone will help more on that front. I'll attach pics of the plants that have worked in my vivariums before, to get you started with some visual IDs. Honestly, almost all of them were small, $2 plants from Lowes. They all do so well, and propogate so readily, that I have dozens of pots of these plants throughout my house. (Between these and my Clivia offshoots, I was giving plants away left and right this spring.)

Attached Files:

3. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

The plant with the purple/red leaves, 4th pic, I have that. I use it as a watering guide. It's the first plant to show it's need for water and it has done very well in the tank. Though it's been eaten by slugs that have snuck into the tank, it's still flourishing. When it comes to plants needing fertilizer, you can get the ones that come in little sticks and push it deep into the soil so the frogs can't get to it and won't be harmed by it.

4. eos

eos Well-Known Member

Chinese evergreen are also great. They have leaves that are long and broad enough that the frogs can relax on them.

Aglaonema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arikun, I would have to disagree with you about the fertilizer, even if it's just the stick in the dirt, it still releases into the soil, and sometimes the frogs (even tree frogs) come in contact with the ground and thus absorbing some through the skin.

jclee, what is the name of plant #3?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are two plants in photo number three. The one with the trunk and the grasslike leaves is a draceana sp called "dragon tree". The wide leaved one is a philodendrum.

6. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

how else would you feed the plants? they need to be fertilized every 3-4 months

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They will receive some nutrition from the droppings of the frogs. You may also be able to use a weak solution of fish emulsion but I would rather Liz or one of the frog folks verify that first.

8. eos

eos Well-Known Member

All the plants need is water, soil and light... in a naturalistic vivarium, there is an eco-system with micro fauna to provide everything the plants need, frog droppings, insect droppings, dead insects, dead leaves, etc. Natural fertilizers like fish emulsion is ok, but it stinks. I'd rather have frog poo (which you can spot clean) than have a tank reeking of fish ferts.

Just a little tip, no need to take my advice if you don't want to. ;)

Merlin - thanks. I was talking about the broad leaf plant.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Eos said what I was going to say :) Frog poop = fertilizer

10. jclee

jclee Active Member

Sorry, I'm horrible with remembering plant names; I posted the pics mostly because, of the dozens of plants in my home, I can only ever remember the species of orchids I have. The rest are a blur of "you know, the one that I got that time that we went to the garden center and that strange guy with the two-foot beard was staring at us?" I can't ever remember what they're called, which is a little annoying when you want to help people by passing on your experiences, and you don't have proper species names with which to do so.

11. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

Also, if you plant with a potting soil high in organic material, or amend the soil with organic compost when planting, you really shouldn't need fertilizer. BUT make sure it is ORGANIC.