This Disappears When Logged In

Good Plants For Reptiles/ Amphibians?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Ian-V, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about getting a new addition relatively soon (not sure what) and I want to put live plants in with it. It's going to be a tropical species and I was wondering if there were any good plants to keep with them. I already know about Pothos, Bromeliads, and Jade. I'm looking for something a little obscure, but not impossible to find. Thanks!

2. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

The plants you are looking for will vary based on what you actually bring home. Some species are to rough for live plants in the substrate but do well when planted into the background. Check out some bioactive groups. They normally have a few plant lists around for a more specific list and some often have recommend environment (temps, humidity, etc.), and best placement for specific plants.
    I just picked up some creeping figs (will be planted on the background), baby tears (will be planted near the pond), and a variety of ferns (they don't prefer bright direct sunlight so they will be in the middle and lower half of my enclosure).
    I have Chinese water dragons and they have never had love plants before. I'm hoping they don't rip them up!
    Bought mine from Josh's Frogs. They have a whole list along with some info that may help.
    Make sure you are careful when buying plants. If they have been sprayed or planted with any toxins it's best to rinse the plants and repot them for a week or so just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

3. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll look into it more once I'm 100% sure on what I'm going to get.

Majrab1389 likes this.
  4. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Umbrella plants are cool, you should check those out. Along with bromeliads.

5. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I'll look into those. Thanks.

6. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

Just make sure your plants don't block your UV

Ian-V likes this.
  7. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I will. Thank you for the tip.