This Disappears When Logged In

Gollum Ate -- Thanks Everyone!!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Feb 22, 2011.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes for little Gollum. They paid off!!!
    Tonight he took his first pinkie mouse (1,1grams -- hard to swallow for that tiny worm, but he did it.)
    He took a bit of pestering before he finally half-heartedly struck and got it caught on a couple of teeth. But he held on, coiled and spent the next 30 minutes trying hard to get it down.
    YAAY!! He's going to make it! I'm feeling sure of that now!!!
    And although I didn't want to stress him, I turned on the lights for one quick pic. It's not great, but it's proof that prayers do get answered -- and sometimes the answer is YES!!
    Thanks again!!!!
    395301685.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Oh my gosh that IS great news! Yeaah! :)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks God! I've been holding my breath until he ate!

Wonderful news, Gollum, is gonna make a great little snake!
    "Precious"

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That's great to hear! Thanks for the pic! I'm sure Gollum will understand the excitement once he is older... Then again probably not. lol

5. KristenNC

KristenNC Elite Member

Great news. Thanks for sharing and for the picture. :D

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats great news Andrea!

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's awesome. I'm so happy for you.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's fantastic news Andrea!

9. BlackJack

Thanks for the support.
    I swear I had NO IDEA getting chondro hatchlings to feed could be so difficult!! Lantash and Crichton are really both the sweetest snakes -- neither has EVER bitten; and their babies seem to have the same trait. They make Sloths look like Piranhas!!! Only the first 3 took the pinkies without problems... softly opening their mouths and letting me put the mouse in...(FEMALES, I'd bet)
    I read in Greg Maxwell's book "The More Complete Chondro" --(btw the BEST book on GTPS there is )-- that you have to pester hatchlings till they strike. HECK, you gotta literally beat them upside the head with the pinkie!!! Unfortunately, by the time mine are irritated enough to strike, my pinkie has already fallen apart...!!
    Tonight I pestered 2 more into feeding, Nr 2 "Kira" and Nr. 7 "Martok". Martok even got so mad that when he struck and dropped the pinkie, he bit me as I went to pick it up!! Finally he decided to eat the mouse.
    Long story short: don't soak the pinkie in hot water until you are ready to fight to the bitter end with it.. otherwise it'll get too soft and burst all over your baby snake... ugh
    Making progress, though. Thank God little Gollum ate. He was the most critical baby. Tomorrow I'll try some of the others.
    I will try again in a week with the two I failed with today.

10. mld

Good luck on tomorrows feeding, hopefully they will cooperate with you like the females did ;)

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Glad to hear that he finally got to eating. That's great news. :)

12. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I am so happy to hear! I have been keeping up with Gollum and so glad to hear he's doing much better :)

13. BlackJack

OMG, I am actually picturing this in my head, mad woman beat baby GTPS with wet gooey pinkies! LOL[/COLOR]
    SERIOUSLY that's how I felt!!! (I'm sure that's what the babies were thinking too! "Hey somebody get that crazy lady to stop hitting me with this disgusting glob of pink goo!!" )
    And hopefully the neighbors didn't overhear me saying "C'mon bite me m-f-er! Bite me!!!"

These little worms are going to put me over the edge, I swear... I've already got one foot on a banana peel....

I'll add that book and some other good ones into the Recommendations today.

14. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Good job! glad to hear!

15. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

Prayers & persistance payed off. Very happy. He is preciousssss.

16. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Great to hear Andrea!

Perhaps Gollum can become a sort of mascot for HC. He definitely has won over our hearts!

17. BlackJack

I think he'd be happy to be your mascot, Dom! He sure has one amazing fan club here!!!!
    Gollum actually wasn't nearly as difficult to feed as some of his siblings! (My serpent-parental-abuse skills must be improving though; today I managed to feed 7 babies in just over 2 hours. Yesterday, I spent 4 hours and only got 3 to feed!)
    So all in all ten out of 12 babies have started feeding on pinkies within 3 attempts: That's pretty good considering some of the statistics I've read about chondro neonates.
    Fortunately, now I can take a 5-7 day break before trying again! (I'm exhausted.)

18. BlackJack

second pinkie

Gollum took his second pinkie today!!! 1,2grams! Here is a photo. Doesn't he look PROUD of his "catch"? :)
    (He's also getting a bit more yellow coloring... all in all, he's doing GREAT!!!)

395419424.jpg

Attached Files:

19. mld

Excellent! He is looking good, I think our well wishes and prayers are working.

20. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's great to hear Andrea!