This Disappears When Logged In

Gollum and George Washington

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Mar 7, 2011.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is the long awaited size comparison of Gollum and the US Quarter!
    (You have to take into account that he's grown quite a bit (+28%) since he hatched 4 weeks ago!)

395570407.jpg

His snout is a bit swollen: that is a sign that he is in a pre-shed phase. It will go away when he sheds.

Attached Files:

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Fascinating Andrea, thanks for posting. :)

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

SO stinkin cute!!! Perfect size comparison too--You can set your computer screen so that the quarter matches up with a real life quarter(hold it up to the screen) and you get to see actual size baby snake!

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Holy cow- I had no idea he was THAT small!!
    I knew he was but thanks for that comparison.

5. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

do you have him perched on toothpicks? lol im jeolous i want gollum!

6. BlackJack

Toothpicks would probably hold him! (chopsticks for sure!) LOL
    I made the perches out of plastic coat hangers. They are "ladders" that stand angled in the box. This way the baby can choose which height he likes best: a lot of them choose to perch on the angled sides instead of the horizontal "rungs". They change around every day and climb all over them at night. (Good to have a choice!)

7. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Dibs! I wish they stayed that small. He is so tiny, I can only imagine how small he was freshly hatched. The quarter sure puts it into perspective. He looks like he is wondering if you are offering his allowance. o:)

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Wow, he is so tiny! <3 Thank you for the comparison. I figured he was small, but no where near that tiny!

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, I'm totally shocked at how small he is! Great comparison, and he was even smaller when he first hatched! :cool:

Kelly called Dibs on the coin, I'll call dibs on Gollum!

This has been such a great experience for me, thanks for sharing your little ones with us.

10. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

OH MY!! Such a little one!

11. BlackJack

I'm glad you all like following our babies' development! I LOVE sharing it all! ;)
    Coiled like that, he was probably just a bit bigger than a nickel when he first hatched. He was a little leery about the coin at first, but he's such an easy-going little one, he just chilled and waited for the photo shoot to finish. :)

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Me too. I had NO IDEA just how small he was!

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Are you kidding me?! Everytime I see a new post about Gollum I click in anticipation for news and pics!! LOL
    Really all of your beautiful snakes actually.
    I just love those snakes but I also know that they are beyond my care and reach, so I watch through you. lol

14. malphos101

malphos101 Well-Known Member

If only green tree's were as easy to care for as corn snakes =( SO DANG ADORABLE!

15. Max713

Max713 Elite Member

I just can't get over how gorgeous he is...

16. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I think most of us feel the same way. Gollum is a cutie! :x

17. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad I am not alone;)..Lucysfriend you expressed my sentiments EXACTLY.....

and I am totally AMAZED at how tiny he is....He sure packs a ton of cuteness in that tiny little body of his though.....Thanks so much for the photo comparison, and keep those photos coming:)

18. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

hey now i called dibs first! lol, your making me decide against my wifes wishes to try to adopt one.

19. BlackJack

Gollum is BY FAR not the most attractive baby: but his tiny size and his OH SO SWEET character just make him unbelievably lovable!

Malphos101: GTPs are not REALLY as difficult to care for as everyone says -- they just need more attention. You can't forget about them for days at a time. They need to be misted every day. This is best done by hand, so you are forced to look in on them EVERY DAY and check the temps etc. They are more expensive than cornsnakes and it's worth investing good money in top quality terrariums, thermostats and heatpanels to insure they keep the right conditions.
    I am happy to have my ball python on the side for regular "handling" as I love to touch and interact with my animals. I have learned to hold back re: the GTPs however, but when we do take them out -- for weighing or larger cleaning projects, etc I really enjoy holding them.
    What I love most is that I can look at their terrarium and actually SEE them! (My BP hides under a rock all day!!)
    More pics soon: the babies should shed in a day or two.

20. FantasticDamage

FantasticDamage Well-Known Member

Wow I had no idea he was such a little guy. Too cool!