This Disappears When Logged In

Going to Miami....again....and again...

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by WDBILL, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Well, i'm off to Miami...again. I'll be taking loads of pictures, and since i found my digi (YAY) I'll have the most beautiful pictures of wild green iguana's, in the old Key Biscayne Zoo. I'm leaving in a few hours, and i wont be on for awhile. After the old zoo, i will be in the everglades, i saw some baby alligators fresh from the shell last time, so i hope to see them a bit bigger. Then after that, i'll prolly hand out by the beach, maybe spot a turtle or two. So wish me luck on my adventure! (Such a silly word)

2. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

lol I like your sig and good luck on finding some reptiles :D

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Dude,,,,I respectfully request you to hunt down and photo a wild Miami phase cornsnake....!!!!

4. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

lo yea that would look cool

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Try looking on dirt backroads at night,,,,and good luck !!!!

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Yeah! What Ken says :p lol

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

have a good time. i come back from texas tomorrow. ugh....gotta get up at 5...i have an 8 am flight...might as well stay up all night and sleep on the plane! lol :D

8. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

back

I'm back, i really didnt have good luck this time; i barely saw any snakes whatsoever. I may have seen a cottonmouth, but i had no pictures or anyway to identify it. I saw alot of alligators in shark valley, in fact, my father almost ran one over with his bike. But i yelled before he ran the poor guy over. I saved a turtle as he was crossing the road in the middle of the everglades. I canoeed up Flamingo (Everglades camp/thing) and i was eaten alive by mosquitoes. I suffered and only saw one gator sunning himself. I accidently bit into a 'gator burger'. After all that i came back to Key Biscayne and road my bike to Crandon Park, then into the old zoo. I was hoping to see some iguana's but the only ones i saw were in a teeny island i could not reach. I then went back and watched some Wild Anoles in my aunts yard, and fed her turtles. I did alot in a few days, and i didnt want to leave at all. I'm on my Laptop atm so i cant upload pics, but i got tons of pics...

9. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Welcome back!
    Can't wait to see pics!

10. cman

cman Elite Member

Wow sounds like quite a trip
    lets see some pics

11. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Big pics

Okay here they are, alot of Anoles in my Aunts backyard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He tried to eats me..
    [​IMG]

Too many picture's will post again.

12. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Turtles! Their my aunts. Florida Box turtles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my favorite tree (Ficus??)
    [​IMG]

13. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Great pics. That is one cool tree.

14. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Looks like a ficus to me, maybe F. Benjamina, I actually just planted one :D
    *edit* Probably not benjamina but something similar.. :eek:

How did your dad almost run over that gator? That wouldn't have been good.

15. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

How awesome!!! I love that tree!! I would like to build an Iguana cage around it somehow and let Nadia cruise all summer long on it! :p
    Ok call me crazy...I don't care!! But it sure would be cool!

Good thing you didn't hit that gator! Yikes!

16. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Cool pics, I did think the tree one was spot the herp, i was scanning the pic for ages trying to find something in the tree lol, oh well, glad you had a great time :D

17. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It's a Banyan tree

Just FYI, the tree in the photo is a Banyan Tree or "Ficus benghalensis" so Chronic, you weren't far off: it's in the same family. They are such amazing trees that I looked up some info on them and pasted it here for anyone interested:

A single mature Banyan Tree will have many trunks and support roots which gives the appearance of a forest of separate trees. A single tree can spread to cover well over an acre (.5 hectares), the largest, in Sri Lanka, covers just over two acres (1 hectares).
    The Banyan Tree can begin it's life in the top branches of palms and other trees where perhaps a bird dropped a seed. The seed sprouts and eventually the branches will send roots down to the ground. These supports will grow into trunks which in turn develop new branches and new arial roots and so on. The original host tree will eventually be strangled out and only the Banyan Tree will remain. The wood of the banyan tree is soft and very porous, the sap is a white sticky latex.

Height: up to 100 feet (30.5 meters).

Lifespan: possibly over a thousand years although the age of the Banyan Tree is difficult to determine due to the fact that the original trunk is usually hidden by years of arial or support root growth.

Habitat and Range: The Banyan Tree grows in India and adjacent countries. It prefers areas of high humidity and moist soils.

18. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

A single tree spanning over two acres :eek: Thats incredible. Thanks for the info and clarification, if I see one at the nursery Im definately going to get it for a bonsai.

19. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

There were 4 trees planted in that area. If you want to know, the trees are in Crandon Park Key Biscayne. Where all rich people live :eek:
    Its a beautiful park, the spot of the old miami metro zoo, i love watching the iguanas on there little island in the park.

20. MiamiE

MiamiE Active Member

yep the tree is a banyan tree and next time your down we'll go see the frilled, and jesus lizards than inhabit the crandon park gardens. theres also a croc in one of them lakes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.