This Disappears When Logged In

Going to Build a 4x2x2, Any Ideas on How and What to Put in It?

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by skelly98, Jul 29, 2012.

1. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

so, i have an extra card table in my room with the dimentions of four feet long, two deep. so i asked my parents if i could build an enclosure on top of it, and get an animal to put in it as a christmas present, and they said yes! so, i was wondering- how in heck do i build an enclosure, and what do i put in it? i have the animals in my signature, and i wanted something different. could someone help me? this will be my first time building anything other than simple robots, so i'm kind of confused as for what to do.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i can possibly do a four by four by two, but i'm wating for approval from my folks.

3. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Well, first things first, how stable is the table? Is it one of those folding ones, and, if so, what kind of locking mechanism does it have on the legs. If you bump it with your hip, does it almost fall over? Do you have a picture of the table (it'll help).

4. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

it's pretty stable, the locking mechanisim is a steel bar. i'm actually keeping my uromastyx and my ball python on identical tables, they are great, really sturdy.

5. CentriRitanni

Good start then. Are you wanting the tank to be removable or attached permanently to the table?

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

removable, as most reptiles will live longer than the time i will be living with my parents. so, like, with a wood bottom or something.

7. CentriRitanni

Okay, well, the basics will be to build a frame with 2x4s, then screw a 2x6 to the bottom 2x4s so that it it fits like a cap over the table. Now as to the specifics of the frame, it depends on what you're wanting to put in it. I would say that if you're putting it on a table, it needs to be a fairly lightweight tank, so no ridiculous amounts of substrate or water, because it might simply be too heavy.

Any ideas on what you'd like as far as general appearance? Care/maintenance level? Legs?

8. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

something smart, like a monitor, although i don't know of anything other than ackies that would fit on a table this size... plus i know most monitors love to burrow, so i think an ackie might not be such a good idea.. i love beardies, but they are a bit to common, so to speak- i love having something unusual, like a uro with a spikey tail or a morph leopard gecko... i was looking into lacertas, but i hear they are a bit angry...

9. CentriRitanni

You could have a whole colony of armadillo lizards in it! XD I'm getting 2 more this year, hopefully at the reptile expo (if not, there are other sources), and I'm hoping for them to multiply, though I don't make those choices.

Hmm, I assume you want something you can handle?

10. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

not to handle like crazy, but yeah, handleable. armadillo lizards? my local pet shop has four of those guys, but, as i'm only a few years into reptile keeping, i don't really want to get a colony of something, mainly because if they all get sick, i won't be able to pay for vet bills.... so i was thinking of getting one rather larger lizard, so that if it gets sick, it will be within my price range...

11. CentriRitanni

Tortoise? Hmm, not a master of large lizards, so hopefully someone will wander by and give better suggestions.

12. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i was actually going to get a tort, but i ruled it out as they are expensive and apparently hard to care for.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What about a blue tongue skink! They get fairly large and they are gorgeous

14. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

You have the unique opportunity to fashion and design an enclosure to specifically suit any reptile of your choice! First off, congrats, that is awesome. Second off, forget everything about building for now and figure out what you want to put in there. Once you have the species, you can start designing an enclosure for it with specific details to enhance the life of that reptile. Feel free to PM me when you are ready. If you take pics, we can walk you through the process if youd like. As far as the table goes, you can reinforce it to be a stand for whatever you want to put on top. You could also toy with the idea of a snake enclosure built in under the table and a lizard enclosure free resting on top. The only thing better than one custom enclosure is two lol. Good luck.

15. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i was looking into blue tounges, but they are expensive where i live, almost as much as a tortoise- and my parents won't spend almost three hundred dollars- they want me to have a hobby, but they think that's too much money...

16. CentriRitanni

Can't say that I disagree with them. Here's the question: what's available that you like that would fit? I would hit up a reputable pet store and do some perusing, then research. Save the expensive choices for when you're making some money (your parents will appreciate it). :)

17. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

almost anything- from things i never knew existed like hydrosaurs, to things like beardies and leopard geckos- but some things are pretty pricey or really cheap here, from ten dollar leopard geckos on kijiji to three hundred dollar skinks- so i'd have to check with my local reptile store or look on kijiji before i know what something is going to cost- the thing about torts and blueys is, that anything over two hundred is out of my limit, anything over one hundred needs consideration, and anything over fifty and i'll be doing chores for free for a while :p

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

If the OP isn't going to use a ton of substrate they wouldn't need to use 2x4's for framing...in fact they won't need any framing at all. I would use 3/4" cabinet grade ply (birch or oak) with a solid wood (maple, poplar or oak depending on the ply) front frame. Grab some 1 3/4-2" wood screws (trim screws or a nail gun for the front frame), regular old wood glue and a tube of GE I silicone and you're set for most of the project (just need doors and other hardware). Ideally you would want to pocket screw and biscuit the the frame together but not many people have access to the tools to do this. If you want more detailed info feel free to ask...in the meantime here is one of my 6x2x3 enclosures

As for what to put in it, I'd look into another uro or desert iguana...but that's just me :)

19. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

That's a nice enclosure, vers! i think i'll do that, i'm gonna show my dad your post and see if he likes it. desert iguana, don't they need some crazy heat? i love iggs, i think i'll look into it XD

20. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm terrible at building from scratch, but I'm great at turning something old into new. Maybe hunt around the thrift stores for something suitable to convert?