This Disappears When Logged In

Going Away for a Month....:/

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by schmidt1894, Jul 14, 2012.

1. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

I know i dont want to leave my reptiles for a month... But i have too. I have to go back to my hometown and take care of business from july 25th, to august 21.... Im leaving all my reptiles(2 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, and one crested gecko) with my mom... I live with her anyways. What do you guys recommend me doing? Should i write out a caresheet? She watches me all the time taking care of my critters, but im not sure if she knows what to do... The only lizard im really worried about, is my iguana.... i dont want anything to happen to BB.... But my Bearded Dragons, im fine with... i have no doubt she can handle those.

So does any one have any tips on what i can do to get them prepared for me being gone and being taken cared of by my mom? And how can i prepare my mom to take care of them?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The lizards won't really care if you are gone. Your Mother on the other hand....

I would suggest having your mother take over caring for them now, while you are there to supervise and walk her thru it. Get her used to the sort of routines you use and show her how to feed water and monitor temps etc.

3. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Haha thats true... but ill miss them!:(

yeahh.... i was thinking that.. And i was gonna plan on writing out a caresheet so if she forgets... she an look to that.

4. Merlin

Caresheets are fine but alternative care givers often get in a hurry and overlook things.
    If you supervise her actually going thru the procedures it will stick better.

5. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

yeahh.. not like caresheet... i mean, I, my self write out procedures of what to do... and watching her take care of them for the next week and half till i leave.

6. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

I have written up a.m. and p.m. checklists for each of my pets, taped it to each of their tanks, printed off a master list taped to the pet room door and walked my sister thru all of the steps when she came to get my keys. It made it fool proof. I also left contact #s for 3 people from my town with a list of reptiles they keep and my local reptile forum login info in case she needed. I also have eggs incubating and gravid geckos every time I go out of town.

7. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Give a checklist, things to look out for, and vet numbers. Start working with her now, and if it makes you more comfortable, have her start an account on herpcenter.

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Maybe you can sort out and put his vegetables in little baggies for your mom to make it easier?

9. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Thanks for ya'lls advice. Im gonna use everybody's advice. Im gonna start working with her tomorrow. i leave not this tuesday, but the next tuesday after. AHHHHHH. And Yeah, ill show her this site. Plus, im just a text message away.. so she can always text me if a problem occurs.

I plan on writing up a little caresheet/todo list/procedure list or whatver you wana call it on monday.Home alone, so itll give me somethin to do. So yeah, ill write it up, post it on here, then see if you guys understand it and to be sure im not missin anything... then itll be good!:D Hope to come back to alive healthy animals... :D To bad i have to leave my baby iggy...:/ cant watch him grow for a month. Darn:/

10. doubleplusungood

doubleplusungood Well-Known Member

I know this is a couple of days old but since you are going away for such a long time have your mom take pictures of them every few days or what not and send them to you. A month is a long time to be gone from your lizards and a baby iggy is bound to grow a lot by your return. This way the pictures will make you feel like you are there and the plus side is you can put them on here too so we can see them!

11. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

yeah its okay.. i plan on her sending me pictures. but i kinda wana be suprised on how big he grows within a month of me not seeing him! but then i wana see my babies. haha:)

And yeah ill think about doing that!

12. Merlin

I do hope that you realize how lucky you are to have your mom do this!
    My mother would not go anywhere near my reptile room if I wasn't there!

The snakes might have let themselves out so they could get her!:rolleyes:

13. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

haha, if she didnt like lizards, i wouldnt have any! I wish i could have a snake, but shes afraid of snakes....:/