This Disappears When Logged In

Goals....

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by DwarvenChef, Jun 28, 2015.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

One of my goals has been to update photos of "local lizards" of my area. The more I think of it the more my brain spins LOL.

I've been looking at the self publishing book makers and find that these companies may be the way to go. One issue however is size and cost, yikes... I love big images and would probably make my personal books as large as I can go, however when I'm dealing with books I by out and about I like them to fit in my book shelves :p (My wife gets cranky if I leave to many books out...).

What is the optimum size people like in a photo oriented book?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I just pulled out a book on geckoes I have and most of the decent pictures are 5 x 4 approx. Of course bigger is better but I find they have pretty good detail for gecko sizing.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Been working with 8.5x11.5 for so long LOL throws ones perspective off a bit :p Not being a fan of two page prints I wanted each shot to fill the page and have the text facing it.

As for text I'm planning on...

Scientific name - common names
    Sex
    Location photographed (by County and State)

Than it gets fuzzy... At the end I wanted to put some notes about getting the image and other bits that would be in this line up, but what about in the middle Grrr... I have a start and an ending but I feel a paragraph in the middle would be handy... For that I believe I would need to decide what kind of book it will be.... Reptile handbook or Reptile Photography book....

I'm more leaning to the photo book as there is already good info out there for anything I'd be togging Husbandry wise. But maybe not so much in good detailed larger photos... Arrgghhh!!!!

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not sure if you are onto the 'find a self publisher' stage, but I have used Blurb and Artisan State for books. Blurb has thin book like pages and Artisan is a bit thicker and sturdier. (I use these as wedding albums)

If you opt for premium paper on the Blurb books then photos print okay.

If I am buying a photobook to look at at home I want 8x12 or a similar size. If I am going to use it as a field guide on my nature walks I want something smaller but with the largest possible photos. - Even if that means a full page photo with the info on the facing page.

Another nice feature from the blurb marketplace is you can offer the same book in several formats. (Soft and Hard cover, digital for the kindle, different sizes, etc)

DwarvenChef likes this.
  5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'd be using Blurb so I can put it together and send it from Light Room5.