This Disappears When Logged In

Gnats!!!!

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by billrogers, Sep 7, 2015.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has had experience dealing with fungus gnats? I have two grey tree frogs and I am using peat moss as substrate and since I try to keep the cage moist, the gnats seem to like it. I am also raising Dynastes tityus and I have a huge problem with gnats in their containers; Every time I open their cages, a cloud of gnats fly out.

2. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Try using a shallow pan with water, a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a little dawn dish washing liquid. Works for fruit flies, if they go for fruits this will work.

3. billrogers

Thanks! I'll try later today.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would not put any detergent in with the frogs themselves.

5. billrogers

If I just have it in a jar next to the cage would it be powerful to keep them out?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What has been suggested is not a repellant. It works by the gnats falling in and drowning. A jar outside the cage will attract gnats in the room but they will still be in the enclosure.

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Take the frogs out of the tank, seal the frontward doors if it has any, and use dry ice to fill the tank with carbon dioxide. Anything inside the tank will suffocate. You will have to replenish microfauna populations like springtails, if you use those, because they'll die too.

8. billrogers

It won't hurt the plants, right? Probably not since they breath carbon dioxide...