This Disappears When Logged In

Glass Thickness? Home-built Enclosure.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by CourtneyAnn, Oct 29, 2013.

1. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on thickness of glass for a home-built enclosure? My African sideneck is in a 100 gal. Now that she's out of iso. I prefer home-built enclosures, though. So I was hoping someone might have a few suggestions? (Plexiglass, not glass-glass). :)

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

for an all water enclosure? atleast a 1/2in (though I would do an inch to be safe).

3. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Ok. :) I was actually reading a post about a Chinese water dragon enclosure where tempered glass was suggested, would that be a better option to plexiglas?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes as it wont scratch as much and it wont warp with the pressure of the water. The down fall is that it can shatter if something smacks into it but you can help prevent that by putting braces on the corners.

5. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

How thick would the tempered glass need to be? And is there a guide for proper bracing? :) Sorry if its a lot of questions, I just really wanna get this right. :)

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I personally would use angle iron as the "frame" of the tank (you can paint it or leave it raw for an industrial look and then use 1/2 tempered glass as all sides (be liberal with the aquarium sealant).

7. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Thank you! Are there any good places to buy the angle iron? I found a good place for the tempered glass I think (the thickness kinda drove the price up, though, but I want to get the right stuff). Unless you had any specific resources for purchasing that that might be fairly cost-efficient. :)

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I don't. I look in scrape yards and recycling centers for any metal I can use. They usually sell it for the cost of recycling but it's hard to find any.

9. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Okay. :) I'll look around a few scrap yards otherwise I'll just see if I can find any cheap somewhere online. :) Thank you for all your help! :D My little turtle thanks you, too!

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think you would be better off buying in stores like lowes or homedepot since the shipping on long pieces of metal will be outrageous. You can also look at welding shops or similar places to see what they have.

11. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

You're right, I hadn't thought about shipping cost. And the welding shop idea, that is pure genius! I'll definitely try that. :D

12. grumpyawed

grumpyawed New Member

Your turtle needs 4-5 times the length of tank as his carapace. So, if your turtle is 12 inches long, multiply 12 by 4 or 5 and his tank should be 48-60 inches long. For the depth, multiply by 2. Having said all this, a full grown female 12 inch slider really needs about a 100 gallon tank.