This Disappears When Logged In

Glass scratching

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by allie&shadwell, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

:confused: My one-year old Niger Orange Uro. is scratching the glass of his terrarium a lot these days. He gets up on his hind legs and scratches with his foreclaws against the glass - almost always in the same place in the terrarium. Any ideas why? BTW, the noise sends me up a tree - it's like fingernails on a blackboard!
    Allie.

2. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Lots of reptiles do this. Alot of keepers take this as a sign that they want out for a while... Or atleast we tell OURSELVES that, lol.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have noticed that a lot of the Uros in our local herp shop behave like this when I walk up to the cage.
    It does seem like they want to come out and play!

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

why not try and take him out for a while when he does this? or course, you wouldnt want to overdo it and possibly he might "train" you to pick him up every time he scratches and this behaviour will never stop lol.

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

My one leo does this to, at about 130 in the morning or after the lights are off, I have to turn my lamp on to see what it is. Its funny, but she does it for a while, i just think shes trying to get out by scaling the temp prob.

6. allie&shadwell

;) Okay - I'll take him out tomorrow when he scratches and give him cuddle time. But this had better not turn into the cat scratching at the back door every time he wants in or out! Heck, we just got rid of our last cat - replaced him with a lizard! [When I say 'got rid of', I mean that he is living in my parents' barn, growing obese on a diet of mice, rats, rabbits and birds, and sleeping in a hayloft.] Will keep you posted on how this works out.
    Thanks for the advice
    Allie.

7. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

My water dragon Sousuke runs to the side of the cage anytime I go near it and scratches at the side as close as he can get to me. I think maybe they do want out. I don't know for sure though.

8. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

Uros are glass scratchers (they make quik work of plexi glass) I used to have my Mali in my bedroom and it drove me nuts. If I stick my arm in the tank while he's doing this he walks over and climbs right on up. I take it as a sign that he wants something either out or "hey dont give that food to them I want it!"

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My beardie scratches alot, like he's trying to get out. He mainly does it when i'm sick so i'm taking a nap in the afternoon. There have been days where it has been bad enough that i've dragged the kiddie pool that my dog gets bathed in into the living room and left him int there with a heat light and a note that threatens the life of anyone who dares to put him back in my room.
    (I'm not the nicest person when i'm sick)

10. angel

angel Elite Member

Yep, Spike does that too. My kids say "he's dancing". He will climb on top of some of the landscaping in the tank to get even higher up. We will take him out and play for a lil bit, but he wants to run around. I am afraid he will get lost!

11. allie&shadwell

I haven't been up and around for a few days due to illness - I've just tended to Shadwell's needs, not sat and watched him - but today he was scratching at the glass a lot so I went over to see if he wanted out. He most assuredly did NOT. I can access all his cage without taking the lid right off except for one corner - for that one corner I have to move a large armchair, and he knows it - and he went to that spot and sat there. I decided to move the chair and he went into his hide. So for Shadwell, glass scratching is apparently just glass scratching and a way to drive me to leave the room to escape the noise!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.