This Disappears When Logged In

Glass, Plastic or Acrylic?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by KDogg, Nov 10, 2014.

1. KDogg

KDogg Member

Hey guys,

Glass, plastic or acrylic? image.jpg

Which do you recommend for the door for housing an iguana in a 72" x 48" enclosure.

Where would be a good place to purchase?

I called my local glass shop and they wanted $180 for a tempered piece of glass. I'll pay that if that's what's best but I would like to hear what you have to say first.

This is going to be his home for the next 18 months so I want it done nicely.

Thank you!

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Tempered glass won't get scratched like plastic or acrylic, but on the other hand you can't drill holes in it to attach hinges or latches.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Tempered really is preferable, because it is so strong.

I would veer away from plastics, including acrylic, for any herp with claws. They tend to destroy it.

You can get no-bore glass hardware specifically for tempered. I believe standard size is 1/4" they have magnetic strikeplates, hinges, pulls, etc. Check a company called Rockler.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Tempered glass is definitely going to be your best bet at that size. Not only will it be impossible for the ig to break it, if a person happens to fall against it it will be less likely to break as well. Had this issue with my daughter leaning into a glass fronted display case. It now has tempered. Glass also won't eventually get hazy from cleaning like plastics will.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yea tempered is 4 to 5 times stronger than normal glass. But it is weaker on the edge. For example don't use it as a shelf for knick knacks as if you hit the edge with something hard it will break much quicker.
    It's also much safer for terrarium doors as if it does break, it shatters in small pieces rather than large shards.
    Be sure to price around as the markup on glass can be quite extreme from one place to another.
    We have suppliers that charge almost 3 times the cost compared to others.

7. KDogg

KDogg Member

Thanks guys. I'll post pictures once it's finished.

8. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Looks like everybody has you covered, but another point in favor of glass...

If you go with sliding doors and tracks like I did, a strong lizard will be able to force the plexi at the gap between the doors and escape. My savanna monitor could do this at will, and hated going to the bathroom in his enclosure, so...well, you can imagine.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's one smart Sav (No surprise though)

Also, if you go the route of sliding doors, I would route a track in the wood that the bypass tracks will fit into, to make it a little stronger, and make installation easier.

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes he was. Oddly that was the only time he'd bust out too.

It was my first build, live and learn.

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I live and learn from just about every build. Don't think I ever built one that I was entirely happy with.

12. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Very true, there's always something that seems like you could do better.