This Disappears When Logged In

Glass in wood doors

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by DragonSlayer, Jan 13, 2015.

1. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Is it ok to go with 1/8" regular glass in my doors or should I get tempered?
    Units will have 6 doors approximate measurements are, two tare 22" x 18" bottom section, two are 22" x 40" main section and two are 22" x 8" lighting area, these are getting blacked out or frosted.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I won't use anything less than 1/4 inch.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, for safety it`s best to use 6mm (1/4inch) plate glass. Are you saying a few will be in the roof of the enclosure (the lighting area)?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Given the option, I always go with tempered. Thickness depends on the application, but I have used both 1/8" and 1/4" without issue. I would not use regular glass at anything less than 1/4" for anything.

5. DragonSlayer

20141116_124144.jpg
    Ok, I will have to go with 1/8 tempered because 1/4 won't fit. Here's some pictures of the enclosure being built. 20141122_155912.jpg

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

What's going in there? Looks like an arboreal setup, so I would think 1/8" tempered should be fine. Do not used non-tempered glass in there though. My dogs broke the glass in my display case when they were wrestling around next to it and one of their butts bumped it.

7. DragonSlayer

Little Chinese Water Dragon. He had MTBA before I adopted him, so I was told not to expect him to get to full size. He's 2 years old this month and only 12" long snout to tail, 5" snout to vent and 64 grams. He was 8" long and only 18 grams 7 months ago when I got him.
    20141224_122740.jpg

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you built that yourself you`re doing a great job! Is it real oak on the framework, and can you give the measurements of it?
    If the dragon has increased it`s length by 50% in 7 months there`s no reason it can`t grow quite a bit more under supportive conditions.

9. DragonSlayer

Front and doors are solid oak, top, sides, bottom and level dividers are oak plywood.
    It's 7 feet tall, the top light/heat section is 72"w x 12" h, main section is 72"w x 48" h with a pass through to the lower section that is 72w x 24 h. The bottom was going to be all water but have changed my mind and will put some kind of removable pond/waterfall in the lower section for water.
    It is completely lined inside with Universal Rock 3D backgrounds so he can climb all the walls.
    Have to thank Universal Rock for giving me the 72"x48" main section of Texas Rock 3D background for FREE! Well I did buy another $1,000 of backgrounds from them for the rest of the enclosure.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Is Universal Rock the company out of Texas? That stuff is incredible and the prices are surprisingly good too. Anyway, that cage should be awsome when finished.

11. DragonSlayer

Yes, Universal Rock out of Texas. They are great to deal with.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you haven`t said how wide the enclosure is (it looks quite narrow in the photos)?

13. DragonSlayer

24" deep
    72"w
    7' high