This Disappears When Logged In

Girdled Lizards, Need Help

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Vincent, Aug 2, 2010.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

First, Merlin has given you a link to a good thermometer/hygrometer, you must get that very soon to know that the temperature and humidity are correct, first you must know the temperature is not too low or too high so they can digest food properly and be healthy.
    Yes, they will need some humidity, but not tropical conditions, in cooler season the temperature is lower, humidity is higher, but basically, they live in hot, dry areas, at some time during the year you can lower the temperature just like it is in the wild.
    I see websites which give different information for the same animals, it is difficult sometimes to choose the best, they DO live on sand in the wild, it IS o.k to use this in captivity without problems, if it is too dry then lightly spray, but not too much. You only need a shallow bowl of water, not too deep.
    Yes, you should offer food for them, crickets are o.k, roaches are excellent, locusts etc, a variety of insects. Do NOT leave crickets in the enclosure through the night, they can start to eat pieces from the lizards when they are sleeping.

Attached Files:

2. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thank Information of you murrindindi
    I was do substrate for they by sand as you guide.
    And humidity to 80% so have too high for they,and do what to reduction humidity for they?.
    Temperature around is 40 degree and in basking is 50 degree. side cool is 25 degree.
    I have can keep cricket in a small bowl to cricket not attack lizard??

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, humidity is too high, this is why I said no misting, because until you get digital hygrometer, you do not know the exact level, and if it was high and you spray more, it can cause problems for the lizard. Easy way to lower humidity is to cover top of tank (maybe 10 cm) with a piece of mesh/screen, leave for 15 minutes, this will allow humidity to escape, when it is at 40 to 50% that is o.k, then put the solid top back on.
    Temperature at 40c ambient is too high, should be approx 30 to 32c. on the warm side, cool side is o.k at 25 to 27c. Maybe the heat bulb you are using now is too high wattage, tell me how many watts? Sometimes we have to try different bulbs before we find correct one. Easy way to do this: Use normal bulb from house, see what temperature you get, when you find correct wattage, then buy proper bulb.
    You can leave crickets in the enclosure in the daytime when the lizards are active, but you MUST remove them before night comes.

4. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

hi murrindindi
    You have can said for I know clearly more way to reduction humidity?
    I use UVA 60wat for they and temperature measure was is 50 degree in Point heating.
    this is enclosure of they
    IMG041.jpg
    IMG040.jpg
    IMG043.jpg
    IMG042.jpg
    I see they waste out dejecta but not see they eat!
    Enclosure I do for they have reasonable?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Now they are out of the caves, maybe they will eat something, tell me how high is the tank? Is the room it is in very warm?
    You can put more branches and rocks, they live among the stones, but they like to climb, also I see the same thermometer, it is not accurate, can you buy a digital hygrometer soon?

6. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

I will Decorative tree climb for they!
    Enclosure for they is 80x40x45 long,wide,high.
    I was provide food for they include:cricket,worm small and now I thought that must patience waiting they eating?
    Thank!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, now you must allow time for them to know the new tank, aften this, they should start feeding, then you need to be very patient, do not try to hold them, only sit and watch them, but not too close to the tank, move slowly, still only putting food, water and cleaning.
    When you have the digital hygrometer tell me the temperature and humidity. Good luck, keep asking questions!

8. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thank you murrindindi you help I very more!
    I see female start out from cave and uvb heating. But she still aslo shy!
    Now humidity is 60%.
    They seems comfortable when in enclosure large!
    I was provide food for they but not know they eat or not?
    and I see female more big male.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They WILL come out to explore the enclosure, but first, they must know it is safe, if they are disturbed they will stay hiding. Females can be more nervous than males, but in time, hopefully, they will learn you will not hurt them. If you put certain number of insects in to the tank in a dish they cannot escape from (difficult), you will know if they eat any, first, put insects in the fridge for a few minutes, this wil make them move slowly, then you may see the lizards catch them. I will say again; it will take time, you must be patient! ;)

10. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

yes,I will very patience to see they eat.
    Now they are in hide I have need provide cricket for they,or to when they start out cave I new provide food for they?
    Thanks

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can put insects in the tank in the morning when you switch the heat/lights on, then when the lizards are warm enough they should try to catch them, but remember, do NOT leave crickets in all through the night.

12. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

I was follow do you said,provide crickets for they on morning and not to again crickets in enclosure at night.
    And I not see they eat,now I will continue waiting they out cave to start primer.
    On morning I often see dejecta of they,but not never I see they.
    And I not know when any new have can see they eat:D.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If they are leaving feaces, then they must have been eating something fairly recently, maybe they are eating when you are not watching! Try other insects as well as crickets, more variety is always better. Do you put vitamin/mineral supplement on the insects before feeding?

14. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thank murrindindi
    Yes,I aslo thought as you that they was eat something!
    I can provide for they:crickets,super worm,locusts?
    Now everything was nice,I just need provide food for they. And very patience to see they out cave and hunting prey?

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, those insects are good, especially locusts, but not too big, because they are very small lizards! Patience is most important, when they know you will not harm them, they will come and stay outside the caves and behave "normally" (then you will be VERY happy).

16. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thank murrindindi
    I will care they true good,hope time to I have can see they eat and see they out cave and stay outside!:)

17. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Hello murrindindi
    I very happy because they was eating very more and now they very good.
    I want asked you a number problem?
    Now I have can carry they out enclosure to play with me was not?
    Thanks!

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m very happy they are eating and coming out of their caves now, only you will know if it is a good time to hold them, if you can put your hand on them and touch them and they do not move away, then it is possible to try and very gently lift them up, but be careful they do not jump from your hand, maybe if you sit on the floor so they cannot fall and hurt themselves. You can feed as many insects as they will eat in a few minutes, Do you have more photos now?

19. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

They only out cave to eating insect,then they back cave of they,I think they still shy,because they only out cave when not have who in around enclosure,I have should capture they from in cave out external?
    Now no picture of they because they only in cave I not can photography of they.

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, then I will say do not try to hold them, if they are only coming from cave to eat, you must continue only to give food and water and clean enclosure, it will take a few more weeks before they know you will not hurt them, sit closer to enclosure, but very quiet, only watching.... patience, patience, patience!! ;)